• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train+taxi or drive to client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train every time. Can work / sleep. Traffic just frustrates me unbelievably

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Depends what the drive is like - if it's going to be a nightmare, then I'd go by train. If it's going to be something pretty (I did a gig where the morning commute was a drive across the moors), then I'd drive it.

Who are you and what have you done with PC??
      This is a good point. A 50 mile journey going round the west side of the M60 can be 30 mins but going west way past the Eccles interchange can be upwards of 1 hr 30. Also consider if the client is flexible with times. I do late set of and late leave to miss the traffic but you could do an early set off when PC jr wakes you and be home again before the rush hour sets in.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        This is a good point. A 50 mile journey going round the west side of the M60 can be 30 mins but going west way past the Eccles interchange can be upwards of 1 hr 30. Also consider if the client is flexible with times. I do late set of and late leave to miss the traffic but you could do an early set off when PC jr wakes you and be home again before the rush hour sets in.
        And the missus will think you are a star.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          75-90 mins drive away or 60 mins by train (then 2 miles by taxi?).
          Particularly for ^this reason

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
          Train every time. Can work / sleep. Traffic just frustrates me unbelievably
          This ^

Comment

If it were me I would do train and bike. But then I hate having to drive anywhere but love my bike. 90 mins each way in the car can really drain you too. Did that for 12 months and it was very tiring after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Depends what the drive is like - if it's going to be a nightmare, then I'd go by train. If it's going to be something pretty (I did a gig where the morning commute was a drive across the moors), then I'd drive it.

Who are you and what have you done with PC??
              Hmmm. Average. Although it is an 'international' journey from wales into england :-)
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                At the moment, thats 0130, 0300, 0430, 0600 then lol

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Hmmm. Average. Although it is an 'international' journey from wales into england :-)
                  Be a right bugger if you get to the border and you have forgotten your passport....
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeh. Previously did 75 mins each way a few years ago. I know some people don't mind but I did find it did my chunk in every day.

I'm sure train will do my chunk in too (especially if we get delays etc) but I aint too keen on having little kip and driving too far. Luckily, Mrs is off obviously and is more than happy to do it all pretty much but still....

Season ticket for 7 days saves about £4 a day (ie. using for 5 days as opposed to buying 5 tickets every day) so prob not worth the hassle. That way drive if I feel like or train if I feel like.

Comment

An hour and over the bridge puts you somewhere near Bristol. Aztec West is a right pain in the arse for parking but then I have no idea how easy it would be to get a taxi every morning and afternoon without being late to the office or to the station to catch a return. If it was me I would drive and take an hours nap in the car at lunch.

Either way good luck I hope you get it.

Comment

Working...
                      X