• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train+taxi or drive to client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Thanks all. Sounds like driving is not a good idea then. Google maps has it at 110 miles in two hours obviously not including traffic jams etc.

Good news is looks like gig is going to be mon-thurs on site, fri wfh which makes a HUGE difference to me. Means I can drive/train up monday, home tuesday night, back wed am, home thurs eve. Just one journey a day and two nights away.

Train is probably the best option apart from, as discussed, it'll mean no transport when I'm up there.

Any recommendations for bracknell (apart from don't stay there!). All I'm after is somewhere like travelodge, ideally close to town/supermarket/cinema/pub/restaurant.
    Once your foot is in the door can you negotiate, late start / finish Mon & Wed, early start / finish Tue & Thu. Means you get to see your little one every day.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Bracknell is a bit spread out.

Depending on the time you have to start/leave it's probably better to drive.

Mind you whenever I've gone through Bracknell it's well before 7.30am or on a weekend.
      Traffic any better before 8am at all?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        Nope - it's the ONLY solution to your question of

Anything else means not having five days away, regardless of the transportation method you choose

(And yes, I've done the five days away with a young family and a wife who wasn't well, so I know what it's like)
        OK but you know what I meant then

You will know how tough it is then. Theres such an advantage to knowing they're all ok at home and you can just get on with things. Had a nightmare in the summer and gig was only 75 mins drive (even though there were 12 hour shifts).

I'd end up driving home when I'd planned to stay over etc. and constantly worried about the Mrs not coping with new baby. Nightmare it was.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
          +1, Have a 5.5 and an almost 3 yr old, even seeing them for a few minutes in the morn and checking up on them in the eve when I get back is worth the 12-14 hr commute into London each day. I do stay the occasional night or 2 in London though (tend to buy a monthly season and if it runs out during the week will stay for the rest of it in a B&B and then get a cheap train home on Friday evenings). Having said that I have renewed until March now and have managed to negotiate Wednesdays WFH, will make a huge difference to my working week
          Yeh know what you mean. But even at that age they're gonna be asleep when you get home anyway. With me - chances are she'd be sleeping when I leave, sleeping when I get home.

Comment

+1, Have a 5.5 and an almost 3 yr old, even seeing them for a few minutes in the morn and checking up on them in the eve when I get back is worth the 12-14 hr commute into London each day. I do stay the occasional night or 2 in London though (tend to buy a monthly season and if it runs out during the week will stay for the rest of it in a B&B and then get a cheap train home on Friday evenings). Having said that I have renewed until March now and have managed to negotiate Wednesdays WFH, will make a huge difference to my working week
            Like the wednesday WFH idea. I guess everyone plumps for the friday but I guess if needs be the week is split into two chunks of one stay over or two long commute days then a days no commute rest.

Comment

Like the wednesday WFH idea. I guess everyone plumps for the friday but I guess if needs be the week is split into two chunks of one stay over or two long commute days then a days no commute rest.
              Friday day off means less travel problems (or hopefully less) and a long weekend.

Wednesday day off means a break in the middle of the week to relax on.

Monday day off means a long weekend, but not much difference to travel.

I'd go with Friday if it was me, so you get three consecutive days as a family, and can then do things together.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I had a choice of any day apart from Monday and Thursday, went for Weds as it breaks the week up nicely, I have 2 long days commuting to London (leave at 7am back at 9pm) but then get to recharge on Weds, take kids to school, do a days work and be around in the evening, happy days!. I have done my time though as have been at the clients 12 months solid 5 days a week before I got the concession

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  Friday day off means less travel problems (or hopefully less) and a long weekend.

Wednesday day off means a break in the middle of the week to relax on.

Monday day off means a long weekend, but not much difference to travel.

I'd go with Friday if it was me, so you get three consecutive days as a family, and can then do things together.
                  At least this way I get to see my kids before the end of the week, as at the moment they see me for about 2 minutes a day Mon - Fri IF they are awake when I leave early doors

Comment

I had a choice of any day apart from Monday and Thursday, went for Weds as it breaks the week up nicely, I have 2 long days commuting to London (leave at 7am back at 9pm) but then get to recharge on Weds, take kids to school, do a days work and be around in the evening, happy days!. I have done my time though as have been at the clients 12 months solid 5 days a week before I got the concession
                    I've been working Mondays and Fridays the last couple of weeks, and it's not a bad option.

Comment

Well, its been OK the last few months on the train to be honest. 90 mins door to door of which only 50 is sitting on the train but its less tiring than driving the 55 miles I reckon (1hr 15 when I have driven).

Got chance of new gig coming up. Same train just next stop (Cheltenham). But client is 20 min bus ride from train station (or 3.5 mile bike ride - 17 mins according to google maps seems a bit fast to me!).

But pretty much takes my commute to 2 hrs each way. Probably again 75 mins if I drive.
                      Must admit, if I get the gig, considering maybe train 1-2 times a week, drive once/twice, stay over 1 night.

Yes, I am a pussy but driving every day will knacker me I think. I aint as young as I used to me. (And, no, due to family I can't stay over 4 nights either!)

Comment

Working...
                      X