• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie morons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    the only people who don't make mistakes are the ones who don't do any work

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Setup a new project team. Forensic autopsy of whole project. Fly round the world pulling the greatest minds on the planet onto the team. Obtain £50bn funding. Spend next 15 years billing at £10K a day to solve this issue.

Write up Phd style thesis on solution. Executive summary: was a typo

The SAP approach to problem solving.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by cherhill View Post
        Pretty unfair, it was just a typo. We all do that from time to time contractor or permie. It's human nature.
        Haha, yeah maybe, but 3 of them couldn't spot it.

2 of them were the Database "experts" in the permie team and thought there was something wrong with the SQL login.

The sharepoint guy should have been able to say to them "look, the website still works, it's still pulling data out the DB, there must be something wrong with the way you are typing in the login details to SQL Server"

And it should be discovered before you call over a 4th person!
        Last edited by jmo21; 20 June 2013, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Haha, yeah maybe, but 3 of them couldn't spot it.

2 of them were the Database "experts" in the permie team and thought there was something wrong with the SQL login.

The sharepoint guy should have been able to say to them "look, the website still works, it's still pulling data out the DB, there must be something wrong with the way you are typing in the login details to SQL Server"

And it should be discovered before you call over a 4th person!
          : before the third login attempt
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
            the only people who don't make mistakes are the ones who don't do any work
            Or the guys that practice what they are doing before they do the job for real. For instance when I actually worked for a living I was a Solaris admin. The first task on anything I built was to setup my ssh keys so that I would be able to run admin commands from my own master server on my laptop.

Then I would be able to write a script and do the same thing to 1 server or 100. This is especially useful if you have a big deployment. Every script I wrote after that started with a directory listing command and some reg-exp so that I knew that I was getting the file I wanted to work on and only that file. The next command into the script was a backup the file procedure and a recovery procedure. Now I know I can find my file move it to one side then put it back... When that was safe I set to work on the actual job in hand ie add/mod/remove something in the file... that work being carried out on a copy of the backed up version not the live config. Once that worked then I could flip the switch and apply the same change on one some or all of my servers but that change only ever got applied to the copy of the backed up version so I was able to test a sample first. With that in place I could then run a commit and move all of the modified files over the originals still leaving a copy safe in case I wanted to roll back...

It didn't take long to do the job and most of what I wanted to do was reusable in some way. Thus in a month or two I could completely rebuild my servers from a jumpstart image then apply numbered scripts and to the exact state that I wanted...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              How naive - test it yourself, find that it's a typo.

Then pretend to pull the code apart for a day while posting on here. Then reveal that you've fixed the issue and make sure they type it correctly.

An hour is amateur time.
              Hahaha,

I remember being asked to change something on a handheld application. Client said it would take two weeks, so I had a look inside, realised all I had to do was change a parameter being passed to a function, agreed it was two weeks work and shook hands. Worked from home the two weeks, and delivered. Everyone happy.

However, as far as stupid things permie people do.

This hand help device, used to print out wirelessly. It was for a team of 200 users, UK wide. They'd create reports on the handhelds, then come home, and print them all off.

One day, one complained the application had failed, as he could no longer print. Worked fine on my dummy gear, but no, he was insistent, as was my boss, that it was the code. I looked for a whole day, nothing, worked fine. Everyone getting tetchy at me, I asked the client to bring the hardware in for checking. Set it all up, in front of client, CTO, and about everyone big and clever in the large company and it wouldn't work. Crapping myself, I walked over to the printer, looked inside, and saw that the user had not unwrapped the printer cartridge before shoveling it into the printer.

I pulled it out, looked at my client, and said it was probably better I didn't say anything, but that I'd be at home when he wanted to speak to me. Billed for all the time (and a little bit more) and went home.

Strange fooks users...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                Or the guys that practice what they are doing before they do the job for real. For instance when I actually worked for a living I was a Solaris admin. The first task on anything I built was to setup my ssh keys so that I would be able to run admin commands from my own master server on my laptop.

Then I would be able to write a script and do the same thing to 1 server or 100. This is especially useful if you have a big deployment. Every script I wrote after that started with a directory listing command and some reg-exp so that I knew that I was getting the file I wanted to work on and only that file. The next command into the script was a backup the file procedure and a recovery procedure. Now I know I can find my file move it to one side then put it back... When that was safe I set to work on the actual job in hand ie add/mod/remove something in the file... that work being carried out on a copy of the backed up version not the live config. Once that worked then I could flip the switch and apply the same change on one some or all of my servers but that change only ever got applied to the copy of the backed up version so I was able to test a sample first. With that in place I could then run a commit and move all of the modified files over the originals still leaving a copy safe in case I wanted to roll back...

It didn't take long to do the job and most of what I wanted to do was reusable in some way. Thus in a month or two I could completely rebuild my servers from a jumpstart image then apply numbered scripts and to the exact state that I wanted...
                Why the f&@k did you think that would interest anybody? I mean, that level of detail to make your point!? Was it necessary. Are you showing off?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  Why the f&@k did you think that would interest anybody? I mean, that level of detail to make your point!? Was it necessary. Are you showing off?
                  Why the f&@k did you think that would interest anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Why the f&@k did you think that would interest anybody?
                    Hey smarty pants. You got me there!

Are you a permie? Or just a c0ck sucker?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      Hey smarty pants. You got me there!

Are you a permie? Or just a c0ck sucker?
                      A replacement for proggy. And so soon. That's CUk efficiency for you.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X