• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie morons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Hey smarty pants. You got me there!

Are you a permie? Or just a c0ck sucker?
    Are the two mutually exclusive? Or are you just trying to get some random guy off the Internet to suck your cock?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      A replacement for proggy. And so soon. That's CUk efficiency for you.
      You worked out that stats puzzle yet?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        You worked out that stats puzzle yet?

No. Why should I?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Just to add my 2 pence worth

Had one of these the other day, user was saying last 6 months data is missing from system it went into the service team who could not fathom out why as when they looked at system all data was up to date.

Eventually they come to yours truly who quickly identifed the problem was that the user was logging into the training system (which is clearly labelled training at many points whilst you log on and during useage) and yes that data was approx 6 months old ( should have also been able to tell as all data had been desenstised so all customers were called John Smith)...

many of these all round!

Comment

Had one dude on the Apps team yesterday who IM'ed me,

"Hi (insertmynamehere), I'm trying to create a connection but it's not working, I've been battling with this all morning!! Here's the code and error...."

"Servername..db.name.tblname"

"Error: The connection string will only accept a maximum of 3 qualified object names"

Me (after 3 seconds, quaking with unsuppressed laughter): You've got an excess dot between your server and DB name".

THEN proceeded to badger me to change some Insert code, I told him he needs to open a ticket, he gets a8sey and says, "It's just a small change", I reply, "It's just a small ticket! Open it now and I'll have the code sorted for you by lunchtime", he goes off in a huff and says he'll get a mate to change it.

BTW - any other DBA's here a bit nervous about Joe Schmoe users lurking on your DB's with SA rights????

Comment

Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
              BTW - any other DBA's here a bit nervous about Joe Schmoe users lurking on your DB's with SA rights????
              Do users change data directly in the DB? Do they make schema changes?

If the answer is "No, they shouldn't", WTF are they SA users?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Jesus, we've had users with SA rights turn off triggers as they couldn't get their data into the database, with predictable results.

The problem stems from the public sector managers having their person do work for them. So you have a DBA team, and Manager in Wilmslow has Fred, a chap who has been doing stuff for him for years, who he's secured admin rights to everything for. Not a DBA, but he was fairly competent with spreadsheets.

Seen it all through my contracting crew. We even had one chap change a data field name, as he didn't like it. These people are also, unfortunately, apparently unsackable...

Comment

Though I'm projects/build normally, at a recent gig I helped out on BAU, got a ticket; Cannot receive xxxxx file from mainframe, this has not worked for 15 years....

Obviously critical then....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

(sighs)
                    Because I may not demote them. Much as I'd like to.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Though I'm projects/build normally, at a recent gig I helped out on BAU, got a ticket; Cannot receive xxxxx file from mainframe, this has not worked for 15 years....

Obviously critical then....
                      "Closed as stupid"

Comment

Working...
                      X