What to do with a crow What to do with a crow
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 29

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth - scorchio!

Default What to do with a crow

I saw a crow fly into a car today (very fleeting glimpse but it seemed to be that way round) and went and rescued it from the road before it got squashed, sometimes birds that have had a bit of a bonk, hitting a car or a window, are only suffering shock and recover if kept warm.

It does not seem to be suffering in any way and seems a bit more alert and moving than it was but, after several hours, is still lying here in an old jumper in my office watching me drink vodka and type bollux on CUK.

Advice sought from nice animal friendly people like aTW, what to do now?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

If you take it to a vet or bird santuary they will put it down.

So either put it outside and let nature deal with i.e. a cat.

Or put it out of it's misery.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Contractor Among Contractors

bless 'em all has no reputation

Do not, whatever you do, give it Kia Ora.

S'too orangey for crows.

Nice But Dim

DaveB is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    I saw a crow fly into a car today (very fleeting glimpse but it seemed to be that way round) and went and rescued it from the road before it got squashed, sometimes birds that have had a bit of a bonk, hitting a car or a window, are only suffering shock and recover if kept warm.

It does not seem to be suffering in any way and seems a bit more alert and moving than it was but, after several hours, is still lying here in an old jumper in my office watching me drink vodka and type bollux on CUK.

It's scared tulipless, thats why it's not moving.

Put it in a covered box with ventilation holes in a quiet place. THis will help reduce the stress and give it a better chance of recovering. Contact the RSPCA or a local animal charity for assistance. If you take it to a vet you'll probably end up getting charged, even if they then put it down.

If you've had it more than a few hours then put a shallow dish with some water in the box so it can drink and a small amount of raw mince or similar to eat assuming it's not too scared to eat all.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

They're as tough as old boots, and if it didn't die in a few minutes the chances are it'll be as right as rain before long. I'd just leave it in a box in the garage overnight (so a fox doesn't get it during the night if it's still feeling groggy).

Also, you and whoever else goes near it should be very careful, as a peck from a large bird like that or a seagull etc can literally blind you permanently in a second.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is always on top

I expect Norrahe will be along in a minute with a recipe.

On a serious note, we've got a local wildlife rescue that deals with exactly that sort of thing (and won't put it down unless there really is no other option) so worth checking if there's something similar near you.

As a kid, I had a friend who lived on the slopes of the mountain, and they had a 'rescue crow' who lived in a cage at night, but flew free in the day. I had a slightly reddish tinge to my hair, and this thing would attack me viciously every time I visited.

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth - scorchio!

I think a box outside with a bit of gnosh and some water sounds best, out of reach of stinking cats but with a hole it can get out of if it recovers. I'll also leave it a small glass of vodka and a bit of cake.

PS If it had been a person, I'd probably have muttered "You should watch where you're going idiot" and driven past. They don't have the same excuse of small brain, do they? (With some exceptions)

PPS Put 'im on top shelf of shed with water and seed, lounger beneath in case he falls off and door open in case he recovers. He immediately pecked at the seed which is a good sign. Also shat all over my clean tea shirt, not sure what that betokens.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 21st June 2013 at 20:04.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

The beerded one

EternalOptimist is NOT a disguised employee

I think a box outside with a bit of gnosh and some water sounds best, out of reach of stinking cats but with a hole it can get out of if it recovers. I'll also leave it a small glass of vodka and a bit of cake.

PS If it had been a person, I'd probably have muttered "You should watch where you're going idiot" and driven past. They don't have the same excuse of small brain, do they? (With some exceptions)

PPS Put 'im on top shelf of shed with water and seed, lounger beneath in case he falls off and door open in case he recovers. He immediately pecked at the seed which is a good sign. Also shat all over my clean tea shirt, not sure what that betokens.

birds sh!tting on your tee shirt is a sign of a healthy specimin. My first wife was a bugger for that
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Contractor 'til I die

doodab 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    birds sh!tting on your tee shirt is a sign of a healthy specimin. My first wife was a bugger for that
    It's better than having them wipe their arse on your trousers.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

P.S. Crows kill young cute ducklings...
    Last edited by AtW; 21st June 2013 at 20:23.