• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another wind farm...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It was seen by birders fly straight into the turbine. It is ironic that after waiting so long for this bird to turn up in the UK, it was killed by a wind turbine and not a natural predator
    So they'd rather have watched it being chewed up alive by a cat? Bastards.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      So they'd rather have watched it being chewed up alive by a cat? Bastards.

DUCK
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Here's a 900 tonne concrete base for one of those 3MW useless feckers:

Try digging that up.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Some goods new to report on this (if you don't like wind farms, that is).

Got voted down unanimously 11-0. They cited visual impact on landscape and knock on effect to tourism, threat to heritage assets and local ecology (horseshoe bats, peregrine falcons etc).

But here's the real clincher:

Last edited by wurzel; 9 May 2014, 21:40.

Comment

I found another wind farm here...

All that methane sure does give off a stink.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I think the turbines are beautiful things. They're elegant and are a monument to human ingenuity.

Comment

You always have to remember their purpose is not to produce electricity, they never will produce any sensible amount of electricity, they have a symbolic purpose. They're there to make people feel better.

People drive past and think "ah we're saving the planet" and completely ignore the unchanging emissions curve.

All the coal and gas being produced will get consumed regardless of how many wind turbines are stuck up.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  I think the turbines are beautiful things. They're elegant and are a monument to human stupidity.
                  FTFY
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Wind turbines don't have a particularly long life so they'll be rusty eye sores within 20 years.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Wind turbines don't have a particularly long life so they'll be rusty eye sores within 20 years.
                      That's what the guy from G2 argued at the council meeting. 25 years & it would be decommissioned.

Though the council planning officer, who backed the proposal, had to admit that after 25 years the site would be classified as a brownfield site & it would never return to just being a field.

Comment

Working...
                      X