• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another wind farm...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another wind farm...

Yet another notification of an application to rig up a bunch of wind turbines landed on my doormat this morning.

This time it's one of the local quarries. Local council isn't going to let them expand unless they hit certain carbon footprint targets which means they need to install four 80 metre turbines (& they'll be getting a £400k year subsidy for this, apparently).

Not sure if the council that stipulates the carbon targets is the same one that approves the planning application though.

That's now five current applications within a 5 mile radius 2 of which will be in direct line of sight of my house - the aforementioned solar farm out the front & these 4 turbines over the back.

This is a photomontage of the view that I'll have from the back of my house.

I suppose some of you'll think that's not too bad but that bit of woodland there is one of the few remaining tracts of ancient woodland on the Mendips & has SSSI status as it is home to a fair few rare species (horseshoe bats, spotted flycatcher, garden warbler to name a few).

Looks like I'm going to be spreading myself a bit thin opposing all these proposals

If we don't drastically change the way we produce our energy their won't be any woodlands or rare species left so I'm afraid I'm going to have to use my default response to these types of complaints.

You're gonna have to lump it.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
      If we don't drastically change the way we produce our energy their won't be any woodlands or rare species left so I'm afraid I'm going to have to use my default response to these types of complaints.

You're gonna have to lump it.
      Given two extreme positions I'd say you're closer to the truth here.

Yep, there'll have to be some wind farms, and some will find them ugly, even though in some places they can look quite cool. We ave a few down our way and we don't really have problems with that; I do have problems with our energy production being dependent on Mr Putin with his hands on the gas taps.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Yet another notification of an application to rig up a bunch of wind turbines landed on my doormat this morning.
        Arguments about subsidies and 'carbon footprints' aside, but from my point of view and as an appreciator of all things rural and natural, I can honestly say I don't mind them. Indeed one cannot but be moved by the engineering qualities of most of them..

They're not generally audible until you're practically underneath one, there's no piles of dead birds under them, so I don't see they're such an ugly addition to any countryside scene, certainly less so than pylons or some scruffy farm that looks like an old scrapyard.

Did people admire Constable's paintings but bemoan the presence of 'an ugly windmill' ?
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

They aren't that bad, are you sure you aren't a NIMBY?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
            Did people admire Constable's paintings but bemoan the presence of 'an ugly windmill' ?
            Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post

They're not generally audible until you're practically underneath one, there's no piles of dead birds under them
              It is claimed that they are audible up to 1 mile away. It's also claimed that they mince up wildlife. That's from the anti camp though - I'm yet to make up my mind.

My problem is that there seems to be a glut of these applications for a small area of what is very attractive and, in places, ecologically sensitive countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                It is claimed that they are audible up to 1 mile away. It's also claimed that they mince up wildlife. That's from the anti camp though - I'm yet to make up my mind.

My problem is that there seems to be a glut of these applications for a small area of what is very attractive and, in places, ecologically sensitive countryside.
                There are a few down our way, one of them was placed about 600 metres away a few years go and it's a rural area. I have never heard it, I haven't seen piles of birds underneath it and the birds in my garden sing their little songs to me every morning just as they have always done.

Comment

This is in my back garden.

Westmill Solar

I have no problem with these things as long as they are not subsidised ie they make economic sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    They aren't that bad
                    I have to confess, I'd rather just see the trees out the back.
                    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    are you sure you aren't a NIMBY?

Comment

Working...
                    X