• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open Source

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Source

Does anyone here work on open source projects?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Not as plan A but I once submitted a bug fix to the Drupal project.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

You must be bored.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was thinking as a CV enhancer. Seeing as I have to read the source in lieu of a manual and occasionally fix it, I might as well get some credit for it.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I was thinking as a CV enhancer. Seeing as I have to read the source in lieu of a manual and occasionally fix it, I might as well get some credit for it.
          Depends. I'd put it in the same category as BCS membership. It may give you a hard on but to everyone else it just makes you look like a weirdy beardy sandal wearing code chimp.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Depends. I'd put it in the same category as BCS membership. It may give you a hard on but to everyone else it just makes you look like a weirdy beardy sandal wearing code chimp.
            I should offset that by turning up for interviews in a Ferrari.

Comment

I should offset that by turning up for interviews in a Ferrari.
              You could even write the daily hire charge off as an expense.

Comment

Don't quote me on that, but the only cv enhancer in the Open Source world is submitting patches to the Linux kernel. Be prepared for lots of frustration and religious wars.

And don't mess with the FSF foundation, they're nutters!
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                  Don't quote me on that, but the only cv enhancer in the Open Source world is submitting patches to the Linux kernel. Be prepared for lots of frustration and religious wars.
                  You don't think any of the common Java open source stuff is worth bothering with? I mean, if I have to fix it anyway....

Comment

Only when my work requires changing something.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    If you were a young chap going permie then definitely yes, an interest/passion in this stuff stands out a mile.

As a war-hardened contractor, I doubt it other than as a way of highlighting how you not only used trendy-tech-X, but are expert with it.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X