• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good areas in London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying or renting? What sort of place (flat, house, # of rooms etc) and what sort of budget?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I would suggest moving North, not North London, nut Northern England, live like a king, much friendlier place for raising kids and you can Monday to Friday it in the smoke
      We don't want any southern scum up here, thanks.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I would suggest moving North, not North London, nut Northern England, live like a king, much friendlier place for raising kids and you can Monday to Friday it in the smoke
        Hell, you can get from York -> Kings Cross in 2.25 hours so depending on location you can just about commute! Even more so from Doncaster.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
          Hi, considering a new hood that would not break the bank yet is pleasant, safe and practical for a family, zone 2 and further up to 40 min commute to central London. Any recommendations? I know all the hidden gems have long been discovered and command an appropriate price, but I'll try asking here anyway...
          There’s plenty of reasonably priced accommodation in zone 2 but the problem is finding rooms for the servants.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

you can rent a shed in Slough 30 minutes to Paddington (less if you get the fast train).

Seriously most of the nice towns round London are only a few minutes away by train.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Virgin trains states that Milton Keynes Central to London Euston is 30 mins. London Euston to Oxford circus on Victoria line is 2 stations. Not sure how expensive that would be. Just throwing it out there
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Ashford to St P is 36 mins but we are full
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
                  Hi, considering a new hood that would not break the bank yet is pleasant, safe and practical for a family, zone 2 and further up to 40 min commute to central London. Any recommendations? I know all the hidden gems have long been discovered and command an appropriate price, but I'll try asking here anyway...
                  Try Gerrards Cross, 20 min to central London, quite expensive but do-able on decent London salary (or should I say Daily Rate).
                  If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Hell, you can get from York -> Kings Cross in 2.25 hours so depending on location you can just about commute! Even more so from Doncaster.
                    you can get to Darlington in 2:30-2:45 and prices there are far far cheaper than York.

£250,000 will buy you a grade ii listed 5 bed terrace next to ofsted outstanding schools and walking distance to the station.

+ York 30 minutes train.

Lake District 1 hour by car
                    Dales 30 minutes
                    Moors 30 minutes

Granted Teesside is 10 minutes away but you can't have everything.
                    Last edited by eek; 15 July 2013, 10:28.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      you can get to Darlington in 2:30-2:45 and prices there are far far cheaper than York.

£250,000 will buy you a grade ii listed 5 bed terrace next to ofsted outstanding schools and walking distance to the station.
                      It's in Darlington, though.

I used to go out in Darlo when I was at school
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X