• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday Reading

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    2 recent reads i can recommend are:

Nothing To Envy

and How to get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia

I will be very surprised if the latter is not on the Man Booker longlist announced next week.
    Ta. Have got the 2nd one - seems very topical for my holiday reading
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Need to take some crayons as well: Amazon.com: Color My Boobs!: A Titillating Coloring Book for Adults (9780937609606): D.D. Stacks, Billy Armstrong, Chad Powers III: Books
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

2 recent reads i can recommend are:

Nothing To Envy

and How to get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia

I will be very surprised if the latter is not on the Man Booker longlist announced next week.
        Both look good.

Annoys me when kindle version is dearer than paperback, so have gone for the former.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Both look good.

Annoys me when kindle version is dearer than paperback, so have gone for the former.
          This always used to be because eBooks incur VAT whereas physical books don't. But this may have changed since I stopped working in publishing

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Ta. Have got the 2nd one - seems very topical for my holiday reading
            I am sure they have already bottomed out the whole "marrying well" route to filthy lucre without your advice though sas.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

This always used to be because eBooks incur VAT whereas physical books don't. But this may have changed since I stopped working in publishing
              This is still the case, however I'd assume that the reduced production costs could absorb the difference.

Paperback: £6.52
              Kindle: £8.99

Even with my maffs, I reckon that's more than 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                I am sure they have already bottomed out the whole "marrying well" route to filthy lucre without your advice though sas.

It seems that "marrying intelligent" was beyond you, judging by Passportgate.
                Hardly surprising though, given what you had to offer in the brains department.

Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

It seems that "marrying intelligent" was beyond you
                  At least I got to choose for myself. And of course intelligent people never get their pockets picked, do they?

You ought to be safe anyway, no self-respecting criminal will be venturing out in the deluges you will be subjected to in the steaming mangrove swamp you have selected for your hols.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    At least I got to choose for myself. And of course intelligent people never get their pockets picked, do they?

You ought to be safe anyway, no self-respecting criminal will be venturing out in the deluges you will be subjected to in the steaming mangrove swamp you have selected for your hols.
                    Pathetic riposte.
                    But it couldn't be anything else, given the accuracy of my previous post, eh?

The thing is you're still insisting, like the country bumpkin you are, you are that losing a passport and expecting it to be replaced the same day is a reasonable expectation.

So no, intelligent people take precautions about getting their pockets picked.
                    The thing is pickpockets know to target the gormless looking.
                    Last edited by sasguru; 17 July 2013, 08:41.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

The thing is you're still insisting, like the country bumpkin you are, you are that losing a passport and expecting it to be replaced the same day is a reasonable expectation.
                      It is entirely reasonable for those of us that do not accept mediocrity. I can see why you might struggle with that concept however. The path of your life has been strewn with the humble acceptance of shoddy performance.
                      We are all in the gutter sg, but some of us are looking at the stars!

Comment

Working...
                      X