• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retail Therapy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retail Therapy

Just ordered a shiny new bike

After much deliberation about maybe getting a speedy racer, I decided a touring bike would be much more useful and more suited to most of the riding I do. Heck, I might even think about doing a Jogle.

Bit of a beardie old man's bike, but deposit is refundable if I don't like it.

<sexistmode>
    It's got a crossbar. Call yourself a lady!
    </sexistmode>

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      <sexistmode>
      </sexistmode>
      She rides sidesaddle

Comment

<sexistmode>
        </sexistmode>
        Can one buy men's bikes without a crossbar, or a lower one, for guys like me who'd rather not have the bother of lifting their leg over their heads each time they get on?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Can one buy men's bikes without a crossbar, or a lower one, for guys like me who'd rather not have the bother of lifting their leg over their heads each time they get on?
          You could ride a ladies bike.

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/pr...sovereign.html
          Last edited by mudskipper; 20 July 2013, 14:38.

Comment

<sexistmode>
            </sexistmode>
            Most ladies bikes have a crossbar too. Unless you go for a miss marple shopper.

Dawes do do a ladies galaxy. Unlike the men's, where you have a choice of 3 models (Classic, Super and Ultra) and a range of sizes in those models, for ladies there is one model (Classic) and one size, which is fine if you just happen to be 55 to 58 inches tall. I'm about ten inches too big. Unfortunately it also means you have to shell out extra for a ladies saddle, but will see whether shop will do a swapsie.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Most ladies bikes have a crossbar too. Unless you go for a miss marple shopper.

Dawes do do a ladies galaxy. Unlike the men's, where you have a choice of 3 models (Classic, Super and Ultra) and a range of sizes in those models, for ladies there is one model (Classic) and one size, which is fine if you just happen to be 55 to 58 inches tall. I'm about ten inches too big. Unfortunately it also means you have to shell out extra for a ladies saddle, but will see whether shop will do a swapsie.
              I was going to ask what a 'ladies saddle' was all about, but I googled it instead.

"Avoiding soft tissue damage" phnarr!!

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                I was going to ask what a 'ladies saddle' was all about, but I googled it instead.

"Avoiding soft tissue damage" phnarr!!
                Our 'sit bones' are differently configured. Something to do with the need to force babies out of a gap between them I believe. Bike shops have a special memory foam pad that allows you to measure them.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  ... for guys like me who'd rather not have the bother of lifting their leg over ...
                  Libido a bit weak??

Comment

Libido a bit weak??
                    I don't mind getting my leg over, just not on a bicycle

So reading these replies, it seems I should be looking for a Miss Marple folding mountain bike. (I also hate low handlebars)
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X