• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right that is it, the toys have left the pram..................

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I was programming in oak when you still wore short trousers. Why would I want to write code in a language less productive than c++
    Perhaps if you had used a modern garbage collected language your coffee machine wouldn't have dumped core?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Perhaps if you had used a modern garbage collected language your coffee machine wouldn't have dumped core?
      So garbage collected languages are "dumbed down" to prevent this kind of thing. Tell me more.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I did

Oak was renamed Java in 1994 after a trademark search revealed that Oak was used by Oak Technology.[2] Java 1.0 was finally shipped in 1996.[3]

Its just feels a bit 1990s when compared to a language that's been updated within the past 10 years.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I did
            So why didn't you use C++ instead, seeing as it makes you so much more productive?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

So why didn't you use C++ instead, seeing as it makes you so much more productive?
              Because the set top box the system was for was designed to run a particular language. One designed explicitly for the purpose as C++ (the initial approach) didn't cut it.

I thought you knew the history of java and all its advantages over "other languages". Oh you don't
              Last edited by eek; 22 July 2013, 18:38.

Comment

I gave up coffee in November 2007. You should try it.

Comment

I thought you knew the history of java and all its advantages over "other languages". Oh you don't
                  Why did you think that?

Comment

Why did you think that?
                    Because you claimed to be a Java expert throughout the thread where we took the mickey out of your cack-handed questions....

Comment

Because you claimed to be a Java expert throughout the thread where we took the mickey out of your cack-handed questions....
                      No I didn't. That is you jumping to conclusions.

I asked a question that wasn't even a java question but about processing a particular kind of data structure and you decided that my client's requirement to hire someone who has CS background knowledge over and above how to use off the shelf frameworks marks me out as a
                      Originally posted by eek
                      no it all (sic)
                      when actually I'm just trying to find someone at least as competent as me and preferably somewhat better.

I think you are a twat. Perhaps that's just me jumping to conclusions.
                      Last edited by doodab; 22 July 2013, 19:00.

Comment

Working...
                      X