• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do I tell recruitment agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do I tell recruitment agencies?

So I finally decided to quit my perm job for contracting.
    I am getting these sort of questions for recruitment agencies:

Have you applied for any other roles?
    How far are you down the process of applying for another role?

I understand they don't want to waste their time trying to get my role if I accept one elsewhere.
    Equally I want to apply for lots of roles so I there is more chance I will get offered one and it's nice to have a choice.

I've had a couple of phone interviews but no face to face interviews as yet, but likely will have one soon.

So far I've been honest with the agencies, telling them I am applying for other positions. However as I get further down the application process, I'm worried I'll put off agencies from putting me forward for other positions if I remain being so honest.

Am I over thinking this? ( I am a newbie at contracting )

Mark

One application - one contract offer.

That's the MarillionFan way.

Comment

I think this is a rare case where you can benefit from being honest. If they know that their contract is your only iron in the fire, then they might invest a bit more effort into making your application a quality one, knowing they are more likely to get it. But if you are weighing up several offers, then if they know that, they will be inclined to hurry up the client, which is probably what you want even if it risks scaring them off.

If you're not sure, "yes, a couple of things but I don't have high hopes" is a good default answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Angrybunny View Post
        Have you applied for any other roles?
        How far are you down the process of applying for another role?

I understand they don't want to waste their time trying to get my role if I accept one elsewhere.
        The reason they ask is because they are fishing for leads and if they find out who else is recruiting they will be straight in there trying to get one of their own people into the job. Do not trust them further than you can spit. Make up some cover story about why you haven't applied for any roles. I normally tell them that I've been taking a break from work and they are the first agency I've spoken to - makes them feel all special.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          One application - one contract offer.

That's the MarillionFan way.
          38/39

Even Tyson lost a few towards the end. ;-)
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            38/39

Even Tyson lost a few towards the end. ;-)
            Is that why you went permie.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I say, 'I have made other applications but I don't currently have any CVs in front of clients.'

Comment

It's when they ask you where you interviewed and what the name of the person you saw is that you need to be a little coy.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  It's when they ask you where you interviewed and what the name of the person you saw is that you need to be a little coy.
                  Why? If I didn't get the job and I like the agent (its a rarity but there are 3 or so I like dealing with) I'm happy to give them other companies who employ contractors.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

[QUOTE=Wanderer;1779759]The reason they ask is because they are fishing for leads and if they find out who else is recruiting they will be straight in there trying to get one of their own people into the job. Do not trust them further than you can spit...QUOTE]

i once had a contract (direct to client) which was mostly wfh with occassional trips to clients hq abroad.

i was on my second trip out there and was working in the business hiring managers office and as we discussed solution options to a tricky business problem i spied on his filing cabinet a letter from an agent who knew about my status at said client. (converstaions with the agent had been about how i was, what i was up to, when i was due to end at the client, if there was likley to be an extension and what my rate would be for a new contract that they have in the pipeline)

the letter offered another contractor at a lower price than me for the remainder of the project time that i had told the agent i was on contract for.

this agent still calls me regularly (every quarter). in over 5 years of contact the agent has never, ever, offered an actual role to me. the calls are always fishing for my end date and extensions. the agent knows my rate and will simply try to replace me on my current role.

be careful out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X