• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero hours contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero hours contracts

Ok, so if you're on a low hourly rate, and you're sent home after 3 hours, I imagine it'd be annoying. But the employer also takes the risk of losing a good worker if they abuse this.
    Otherwise, this actually seems similar to contracting. Do the work when asked, and you get paid. If you want a day off and claim you're sick, you don't get paid. What's the problem?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Low paid zero hour contracts are generally in place in industries where finding another worker isn't a problem, so the balance of power is in the employer's hands. Further to this inequaility is that you have to be available when they need you. It can work out in some cases, but it is open to abuse, and makes enforcement of employee rights problematic.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Ok, so if you're on a low hourly rate, and you're sent home after 3 hours, I imagine it'd be annoying. But the employer also takes the risk of losing a good worker if they abuse this.
      Otherwise, this actually seems similar to contracting. Do the work when asked, and you get paid. If you want a day off and claim you're sick, you don't get paid. What's the problem?
      The issue is that it is used at the level of the market which should be protected from this sort of activity and the only reason the companies are using these contracts is to avoid paying people full time.

People don't have to accept these contracts but these are people desperate for work who want to stay off benefits and are being taken advantage of.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Next they will be using child labour. Clearly the country needs to create more jobs.

I hope that DA and the other trolls who go on about the work shy will make note of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          The issue is that it is used at the level of the market which should be protected from this sort of activity and the only reason the companies are using these contracts is to avoid paying people full time.

People don't have to accept these contracts but these are people desperate for work who want to stay off benefits and are being taken advantage of.
          WHS, and also the flexibility seems to me to be a one way street; employer wants someone to be at his beck and call, but what happens when the 0 hours contracted employee says no he can't work today, or can work somewhere else for more money for a day?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            WHS, and also the flexibility seems to me to be a one way street; employer wants someone to be at his beck and call, but what happens when the 0 hours contracted employee says no he can't work today, or can work somewhere else for more money for a day?
            Why is it a one way street ? If I need six workers in a hurry and they all told me to bugger off I could be right up sh!t st.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

To be honest I think the organisations that use these don't really care about loyalty, their positions are usually over subscribed with applications so the staff are too scared to tell them to go forth and multiply as a small income is better than none
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I think the closest I ever got to a zero hour contract was when I went crop picking as a youth. You cast around for the best rate/hour (sometimes you got it wrong) worked ones nuts off then went back to rest and sleep.
                If the guy ripped you off, you didnt go back. We had one guy who tried to poach us off the potato weed-picking onto broad bean picking but we fcked him right off because he ripped one of us for a few bob.
                Sometimes the demand can peak very high
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The employment contract between an umbrella and the contractor is normally a zero hour contract. Indeed the hourly rate is normally minimum wage too. The rest is just paid as bonus if and when the agency or end client pays the umbrella. etc.

Comment

No similar to contracting at all since with contracting you usually get paid for the duration of the contract or until either party decides to end it, regardless if there is work or not.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X