• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best time to look for a new contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    WBS but it depends on how desperate your cash-flow is I guess.
    I think it was more the sods law rule that the best roles only appear when you can't take them.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I think it was more the sods law rule that the best roles only appear when you can't take them.
      It's going to be tricky to find someone who will wait six weeks for you, though.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Soo true...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you are good at what you do, you should be able to find a role anytime of year. Although you can be more choosey March-May and Sept/October though in my experience.

Comment

You do not look for a new contract. A new contract will find you.

Have I confused new contracts with Chuck Norris?

Comment

Personally I've never found this "Budgets kick in in April" to be the case, that implies some forward planning on the part of the company, the fact that they're looking for a contractor means it wasn't in the plan.

In an ideal world you want your contract to end around May time, then you can take a couple of months off during the summer to get stuff done, go on holidays etc. You don't want to be sat around looking for your next gig when it's p1ssing down and going dark at 4pm, that's when you should be coining it in ready for the good times.

Also if you have an interview in August say if they say "You've not worked since May?" or whatever, you rebuke with "Yes, I took the summer off as I've been building a workshop.." or whatever.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

I have found January and September to be good times to look, presumably because of the bottleneck caused by Christmas and School Holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                  You do not look for a new contract. A new contract will find you.

Have I confused new contracts with Chuck Norris?
                  No, that's the way I work...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Currently servicing three clients, and I'm still looking.

Never stop.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

+1. I secure a contract, and another one pops up with better rate just around the corner Doesn't mean I will get it though
                      I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Working...
                      X