• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man made his own credit card and sues bank??!?!?!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I think that wouldn't be the case.

I have amended agency contracts - crossed out bits I didn't like, and added a few bits here and there - all initialled, and then signed. No-one's ever said anything. But then nothing's ever come of it either.
    Same. My legal department does this all the time with contracts that come out way. Redline this, change that.

I think I might try this next time I apply for credit it. If its accepted its legal and binding.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      Anyone seen this?

Man who created own credit card sues bank for not sticking to terms - Telegraph

Does the bank have a leg to stand on?
      I wonder if he got the idea from the BOFH.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        Does the bank have a leg to stand on?
        In Soviet Russia a bank does not need a leg to stand on in order to secure out of court settlement due to sudden death of the plaintiff.

HTH

Comment

Handwritten amendments or striking out terms is possibly legit. Scanning and editing the contract to appear original is deception. Over here, deception for monetary gain is fraud.

I do often wonder what value there is in a signature given the potential for the other party to swap out unsigned pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
            Handwritten amendments or striking out terms is possibly legit. Scanning and editing the contract to appear original is deception. Over here, deception for monetary gain is fraud.
            That's fraud for sure unless the other party was clearly told that the changes were made.

Comment

The mistake the bank made was in sending back to the client the amended contract signed by the bank.
              In the UK the bank would not do this. So even if the bank received the amended contract the client would have no proof the bank had accepted those amended terms.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                the client would have no proof the bank had accepted those amended terms.
                If banks proceeds to offer credit then it could be deemed as having implicitly accepted the terms - during court case they would need to show their copy of terms and if it's exactly the same it could well be considered accepted.

However if customer sneakily altered text then it's most certainly fraud in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  However if customer sneakily altered text then it's most certainly fraud in this country.
                  Rubbish. Its standard business practice.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Rubbish. Its standard business practice.
                    It's obtaining money by deception.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      It's obtaining money by deception.
                      Thats why you are still so poor.

Comment

Working...
                      X