• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop the racist van

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop the racist van

found this quite amusing, people taken to twitter to waste the home office's time. Some are quite funny.

The government tries to scare immigrants with a #racistvan. Hilarity ensues. - Us Vs Th3m

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
    found this quite amusing, people taken to twitter to waste the home office's time. Some are quite funny.

The government tries to scare immigrants with a #racistvan. Hilarity ensues. - Us Vs Th3m
    Brilliant; I'm convinced humour's the best way to fight bigoted nonsense. Mr PukkahPunjabi's doing quite a good job there.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yes a completely laughable policy that should have died in the Thinktank.

Lets hope it doesn't cost the taxpayer too much.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's not a great idea, but I don't see much racism or bigotry, if we are going to be accurate.
        It's aimed at people who have broken the law.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          It's not a great idea, but I don't see much racism or bigotry, if we are going to be accurate.
          Since when is overstaying your welcome illegal. You've been on here for years.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to agree... I'll beat myself in punishment later.

How is it racist to say "If you're in this country illegally then leave now voluntarily, oh, and here's a number where you can get help in doing so."
            If that's racist, then surely deporting someone against their will, when they are in the country illegally, is even more racist.
            As was published somewhere, the total cost of this project was much lower than the cost of a single forced deportation (unless I mis-remembered and made that up).

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to agree... I'll beat myself in punishment later.

How is it racist to say "If you're in this country illegally then leave now voluntarily, oh, and here's a number where you can get help in doing so."
              If that's racist, then surely deporting someone against their will, when they are in the country illegally, is even more racist.
              As was published somewhere, the total cost of this project was much lower than the cost of a single forced deportation (unless I mis-remembered and made that up).
              None of that is really racist, but a van with 'Go Home' pasted on it in bloody big letters, driving through neighbourhoods where a lot of different nationalities live, is pretty inflammatory IMO. It's BNP language and I don't see the point of it. It's also a pathetic gimmick that wastes money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                It's also a pathetic gimmick that wastes money.
                But ont the plus side it must have the Toynbees of this world frothing at the mouth at their Tuscan villas
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  But ont the plus side it must have the Toynbees of this world frothing at the mouth at their Tuscan villas
                  Almost convinced me; I can't stand that bloody Toynbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Almost convinced me; I can't stand that bloody Toynbee.
                    There are certain journos who make a living by taking extreme positions for the sake of controversy: Toynbee is one, Delingpole is her right wing counterpart, Melanie Philips was another very dangerous one who promoted the MMR scare.
                    Generally you should ignore their BS, except for Philips who should have been locked up.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X