• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poppy Project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poppy Project

11am August the 4th 2014 will mark the 100th anniversary of Britain Declaring war on Germany and the start, for Britain of WW1.

I believe that this anniversary deserves remembering in a significant way.

I ask you to support a project which I hope will be adopted across the country.

What I am asking you to do is to buy some Poppy seeds and sow them in your garden and in any uncultivated land, the aim being that next year the country will be ablaze with Poppies in remembrance of all those who have served and died in the service of the Crown.

Nice idea. I'm on the local park committee and were planning to sow flowers in September for next year. Poppies would be a great idea.

Poppies bloom in Spring, is the plan to have them awash in August or earlier in the year.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Nice idea. I'm on the local park committee and were planning to sow flowers in September for next year. Poppies would be a great idea.

Poppies bloom in Spring, is the plan to have them awash in August or earlier in the year.
      No they don't. Our front garden poppies have had it now (direct sun), but the back garden poppies are in full bloom.

Comment

WSS

There are different types so I have poppies in Spring, Summer and Autumn.

If you sow annual poppies in Autumn they can bloom the next Spring depending on the weather. If you sow them in Spring and Summer they bloom 8-12 weeks later. This is ignoring the fact annual poppies self-seed.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          11am August the 4th 2014 will mark the 100th anniversary of Britain Declaring war on Germany and the start, for Britain of WW1.

I believe that this anniversary deserves remembering in a significant way.

I ask you to support a project which I hope will be adopted across the country.

What I am asking you to do is to buy some Poppy seeds and sow them in your garden and in any uncultivated land, the aim being that next year the country will be ablaze with Poppies in remembrance of all those who have served and died in the service of the Crown.
          Very nice idea. I was trying to think of suitable ways of remembrance and honouring the 100th anniversary. Britain might have declared the war but it was the then Empire as a whole that fought it. When I was in school, I knew someone whose father had fought in the war.
          Times long gone. We need to pay our respects.
          Last edited by yetanotherbob; 10 August 2013, 07:59.

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
            Very nice idea. I was trying to think of suitable ways of remembrance and honouring the 100th anniversary. Britain might have declared the war but it was the then Empire as a whole that fought it. When I was in school, I knew someone whose father had fought in the war.
            Times long gone. We need to pay our respects.
            Good idea - I knew a few guys who fought in WW1, such as Monty Cleeve, who tried in vain to improve my paino playing

OTOH, I do think that after Nov 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Armistice, we should let WW1 fade into history. After all, by then everyone involved, and most of the next generation will be gone, and it isn't as if Waterloo or Balaclava etc are still widely commemorated (outside officers' messes in Guards regiments and suchlike).
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

PLANT CULTURES - Opium poppy

Pays me respect 'innit and boosts me plan b?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                OTOH, I do think that after Nov 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Armistice, we should let WW1 fade into history. After all, by then everyone involved, and most of the next generation will be gone, and it isn't as if Waterloo or Balaclava etc are still widely commemorated (outside officers' messes in Guards regiments and suchlike).
                I think it should always be commemorated in order to serve as a poignant reminder of the folly of going to war.

Should we forget about WWII after 2045? The holocaust etc?

Comment

I suspect the tree huggers will find some way of finding it offensive to some minority or something....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    I suspect the tree huggers will find some way of finding it offensive to some minority or something....
                    Fck 'em and I don't mean in the biblical sense.

You sit there and wring your hands like a fairy worrying about some lefties and their "sensibilities" - I for one aim to be the "Johnny Appleseed" of the Poppy world!

Comment

Working...
                    X