• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ethical / legal question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What is the legal test for "proving it alive"?

My cat is alive but it cannot commit a crime.
    Rubbish. Have you never heard of cat burglars?

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      It would be up to the courts/legislators to decide whether passing the Turing test was sufficient to declare an AI a legal person. The only issue I see with using the Turing test is that it isn't hard to think of occasions where a human might fail the Turing test. Do we then deny them their rights? Probably not.

Indeed it would raise the question is the AI sufficient to be considered a sentient being and do we need a branch of law to cope with that?

Doubt they would deny a person their humanity if they failed. Currently our law deals with Human actions and in some cases animal behaviour where its thought they are independent of their owners.

I sort of expect AI to get its own little definition in Law. Its too complicated to try and judge as human.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        It would be up to the courts/legislators to decide whether passing the Turing test was sufficient to declare an AI a legal person. The only issue I see with using the Turing test is that it isn't hard to think of occasions where a human might fail the Turing test. Do we then deny them their rights? Probably not.
        Does the Turing test signify mens rea?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          A fairly typical output.
          What accurate and polite maybe you need to up your game?

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Rubbish. Have you never heard of cat burglars?

HTH

I thought they stole cats!

Anyway is being sentient enough? Is a dolphin or an ape sentient? And even if another life form is sentient, who are we to say they should follow our laws?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is that like a cross between being on the blob and having the runs?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                What accurate and polite maybe you need to up your game?
                Masterful! Exactly the kind of breakdown in sentence structure that could almost convince one that a real organic cretin is posting!

Comment

No its a legal term applied to humans, as posted repeatedly above by multiple posters AI would be a new thing that would require careful consideration probably as new branch of law. Just as the law is changed for different cultures we would need to change it for whole new life forms.

Comment

Masterful! Exactly the kind of breakdown in sentence structure that could almost convince one that a real organic cretin is posting!
                    Sorry I'm trying to push myself beyond using the word Cretin in every sentence. Give me a shout if you need help with that.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Sorry I'm trying to push myself beyond using the word Cretin in every sentence. Give me a shout if you need help with that.
                      Sas, you got the wrong logon that time.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X