• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To the people that create these roadside shrines.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The A272 in Hampshire is a road with lots of bends and is popular for motorcyclists. There are several deaths a year by show off motorcyclists and teenage car drivers who can't negotiate bends and hit trees. Each time I see a shrine I think "twat".
    While feeling sorry for the relatives, I regret to the loss of life. Of the plants and trees that is.

Its a sort of Darwinism really - those who can't survive the modern life (and driving is a key skill these days).

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      stiff upper lip, warm beer and cricket thing - but I am not sure what is is to be British anymore
      There is so much more to Britishness than that - things that go back centuries - the whole stiff upper lip thing is a relatively recent social more. The problem is that people who want us to become some rainbow nation, multi-culti melting pot can't see beyond this and we'll end up throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Its a huge multiculteral melting pot - which is alot better IMO.
      Not where I live it isn't. Futhermore - do you think it would be preferable if, say, Italy were to become a melting pot and have its culture diluted too? I mean, is it a good thing in general or is it something you just like to see applied to the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        The A272 in Hampshire is a road with lots of bends and is popular for motorcyclists. There are several deaths a year by show off motorcyclists and teenage car drivers who can't negotiate bends and hit trees. Each time I see a shrine I think "twat".
        I drive along that road every Friday afternoon - I've noticed a few new ones have popped up this summer.

Mind you, having been overtaken on a blind bend by some wanna be Barry Sheene (that's show my age doesn't it?) I'm surprised there's not more shrines along it.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
          Not where I live it isn't. Futhermore - do you think it would be preferable if, say, Italy were to become a melting pot and have its culture diluted too? I mean, is it a good thing in general or is it something you just like to see applied to the UK?
          What is the culture of Italy? Apart from cowardice that is.

Comment

I don't really have a problem with folk laying down flowers at the place of an accident, I have an issue with folk tying on bouquets still in the cellophane and never going back, they look terrible when the flowers have died, add in the football scarfs, football tops and teddy bears etc.

In the states they seem to put up a wee sign at points of fatalities to highlight safety, I drove down to key west this year, road was for the most part completely straight and there seemed to be loads of them. Must be some terrible drivers over there.

Comment

The wheels on my house go round and round...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                The wheels on my house go round and round...

Racist!
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Penicillin is to blame.

Prior to the widespread use of Penicillin people died a lot, so the living were surrounded by it and the only way to cope with that was to shrug it off and make little of it. Now it's quite rare in our lives [death] so people are more sentimental - to the point of embarrassing.

Once antibiotic resistance becomes widespread everything will be back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I drove down to key west this year, road was for the most part completely straight and there seemed to be loads of them. Must be some terrible drivers over there.
                    The reason our motorways aren't straight, is to keep the drivers awake and focused. FACT
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                      Penicillin is to blame.

Prior to the widespread use of Penicillin people died a lot, so the living were surrounded by it and the only way to cope with that was to shrug it off and make little of it. Now it's quite rare in our lives [death] so people are more sentimental - to the point of embarrassing.

Once antibiotic resistance becomes widespread everything will be back to normal.
                      True up to a point, but there was no penicillin in Victorian times and they were also pretty sentimental about death.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X