• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Feedback - Is it just me?......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    My Agent 'Bum boys R US' feedback from my last six:

Too tight.
    Too loose.
    Not enough jelly.
    Split.
    Screamed
    Didn’t swallow.

nice
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Feedback, in an ideal world, would be great.
      Problem is, when you don't get the gig the focus is on the negatives, the reasons why you DIDN'T get the gig.
      And rather than accept it, and prepare better for the next role, the feedback becomes a starting point for heated exchanges.
      All for nothing, as you haven't got the gig.

We get loads of feedback from interviews.
      It's just that most can't accept it, and so get a watered-down version, or a polite, diplomatic response.

Comment

I don't want feedback on my performance, I know I'm great and the interviewers are incompetent fools I just want to be told no, or 'you're not first choice'.

I've recently gone through a telephone interview for a contract covering the last permie job I held two years ago. I was made redundant and started contracting. I never quite got the ratings I'd come to expect in previous companies but I pitched into the inteview with the fact that I knew all the procedures (written most of them), the people, the culture. To be honest I didn't really like the company but they were offering top rates and on my doorstep. They really seemed to be going through the motions at the interview and sure enough didn't make it to the next stage.

Called the agency and left a message for the agent, never got a call back, dropped him an email 2 days later no reply. He's gone on my blacklist now, not on my ignore list, the one where I will mess him about and lead him by the nose then just blank him in return.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
          I don't want feedback on my performance, I know I'm great and the interviewers are incompetent fools I just want to be told no, or 'you're not first choice'.

I've recently gone through a telephone interview for a contract covering the last permie job I held two years ago. I was made redundant and started contracting. I never quite got the ratings I'd come to expect in previous companies but I pitched into the inteview with the fact that I knew all the procedures (written most of them), the people, the culture. To be honest I didn't really like the company but they were offering top rates and on my doorstep. They really seemed to be going through the motions at the interview and sure enough didn't make it to the next stage.

Called the agency and left a message for the agent, never got a call back, dropped him an email 2 days later no reply. He's gone on my blacklist now, not on my ignore list, the one where I will mess him about and lead him by the nose then just blank him in return.
          Blacklisting an agent for doing what agents do.. You are going to go far.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
            Feedback, in an ideal world, would be great.
            Problem is, when you don't get the gig the focus is on the negatives, the reasons why you DIDN'T get the gig.
            And rather than accept it, and prepare better for the next role, the feedback becomes a starting point for heated exchanges.
            All for nothing, as you haven't got the gig.

We get loads of feedback from interviews.
            It's just that most can't accept it, and so get a watered-down version, or a polite, diplomatic response.
            Agree with this and many other sensible comments made here. Like I said, i'm not seeking a dear john letter with list of genuine pro's and con's or as is more usual a load of contrived watered down BS made up to cause the minimum of fuss.

So here is my suggestion. When you are filling out their endless, ridiculous plethora of tedious forms asking you really important and relevant information acting as a gateway to your prestigious interview (that may, in all probability never take place), everything from your first day rate in 1985 and what colour underpants you typically wear on your first day, there can be a little tick box option on one of them called "Inform if no gig". If you tick that box then all the agency has to do is send you a very simple industry wide agreed template email thus which seems a small, but appreciative gesture in recompence for the hours of time and expense you have given to fill in the aforesaid ridiculous paperwork, travelling, turned up and done the stage show -

"Dear xxxxx
            Sorry to say, but they didn't want / like you. We won't bother to make up reasons as to why, as we both know it will be a big pathetic pile of politically correct garbage to protect us from any legal issues and, at the same time, insults both of our intelligence. But thanks for bothering to turn up on time, represent us and hopefully giving us a continued chance of staying on their PSL, getting your arse in gear, put on your best interview outfit, best smile, roll out the usual dog and poney show etc. We will be in touch about other opportunities, of course of we feel like it"

Truthful, straight to the point and you know what's what with no offence taken or bad vibes.
            Last edited by Contractoid; 23 August 2013, 01:48.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Blacklisting an agent for doing what agents do.. You are going to go far.
              I wouldn't mind if they were consistent, but all the buttering up about you being the perfect candidate and they will discuss you with all of their clients as you are clearly top class etc. then dropping you like a hot potato as soon as it goes tits up gets on my nerves. If the initial approach was ' we're desperate to present some CVs otherwise we'll look like a bunch of incompetent clowns so can you turn up and pretend that 5 years experience of all database platforms with Big Data and Cloud plus BI, ITIL PRINCE2, team leadership etc. is perfectly normal and only worth £180/day for a 3 month contract with callout and weekend work included in the day rate' instead of up to £500/day 6 months with extension practically guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
              X