• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prosperity4 v ir35calc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prosperity4 v ir35calc

Hi

Been offered first contract at 18p/h, apart from the low rate. I did a quick look on ir35calc than says £1440 a month but Prosperity4 site reckons its will be £2100. I will be working onsite with set hours so I presume I will be within IR35?? Agent said its the same as 38k a year, why such a big differance? and which one is closer to the real net monthly amount?

Please dont hammer me for being stupid!!!! But am first timer and a bit confused about take home pay!

thanks

A few points for you to consider:

1. Agents talk tulipe as a matter of habit. Do not believe anything they say. They are not your mates and do not have your best interests at heart.

2. P4 are [allegedly] a bunch of complete shysters and are [allegedly] under investigation by HMCR for dodgy practices. Do not believe anything they say. They are not your mates and do not have your best interests at heart.

3. Did your agent by any chance "recommend" P4 to you? If so, they are likely to be taking a back hander from them.

4. Are you really sure you fall within IR35? Does your client, for instance, tell you not just what to do but how to do it? Do they have to pay you even if there's no work to do?

5. What are you doing that pays so poorly? Is your agent taking a laughable cut?
    Last edited by Davros; 2 August 2006, 23:19.

Comment

Just moved from up north to london and it was first role I applied for done asp.net for about 2 years

3. Did your agent by any chance "recommend" P4 to you?

-Nah just saw P4 on google

4. Are you really sure you fall within IR35? Does your client, for instance, tell you not just what to do but how to do it? Do they have to pay you even if there's no work to do?

- Will be like a permie role but not on PAYE

5. What are you doing that pays so poorly? Is your agent taking a laughable cut?
      - well was earning 27k up north so when the agent said 18ph was 38k seemed like a lot more, but after checking on ir35 came out less a month

Comment

Some more points for you to consider.

1. Search this board for P4 and you will find many "colourful" opinions. At the end of the day it's your money, your choice and your risk. Also read this thread very carefully.

2. Read the first timer guides here and at http://www.pcg.org.uk very carefully.

3. Are you really "like a permie but not on PAYE"? Really? Do you get paid holiday, sick leave, perks, pension, health care, gym membership, annual appraisals, bonus scheme, etc., etc., etc?

4. I reiterate, your agent is not your mate. He will happily tell you your skill set will only command NMW and pocket the difference. £18 ph is the lowliest of the low (excluding Milan). Are you really that junior / lacking in experience / tulipe?

Comment

Originally posted by matt99
          - well was earning 27k up north so when the agent said 18ph was 38k seemed like a lot more, but after checking on ir35 came out less a month

I would say at £18 p/h, the agent will be making more out of the deal than you. He has probably got you in there at the lower end of the market rate, so about double what he is passing on to you. Agents love "first timers" like yourself, for exactly this sort of reason.

Ask yourself this, how much do you think you could get in london as a freelance bog cleaner? The girl in the flat downstairs from me pays 10 quid an hour, cash in hand, to her cleaner. So not much different from your 18/hour "IR35 caught" really. Tell the agent to feck off and find yourself a proper gig.

Comment

General office temps can get £15/hr in central London.

You are being screwed over.

Where are you going to live? That pay wouldn't even cover an annual bus pass in good old London.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Ive been too stupid I guess, going to tell the agent the rate is too low.

Comment

Aye just tell him to ***** off and come back with a better offer.

Do a search on the jobsites and this will give an indication of what the market rate is for your skill set also try they have a section (generalised I know) which gives you and indication what jobs are worth in a region

The market is pretty good at this moment in time so you should be able to pick up a contract worth far more than the b*llocks rate you have been offered no worries, as long as you arn't a mong that is!!.

If you look at Umbrella then look at the ones which are Alliance Partners for this site as they are the best ones, but remember they work for you so give them a hard time and ask s*it loads of questions until you understand everything.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:16.

Comment

2 years asp.net and I guess you have previous experience of classic asp/vb then you should be able to pickup £25-30, if you have both c# and vb.net then you can hold out for more (usually the c# side of things). Top it off with good dhtml/ajax/css gui skills and your laughing.....in much demand at the moment
                  whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Working...
                  X