• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Germans want to power themselves TOTALLY with wind/solar ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, 2050 is a long way off. It's a lofty ambition but not impossible.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

They'll need a lot of extra room to fit the required number of turbines and solar panels.

Perhaps they'll ask to borrow Poland again.

Comment

The target is for all renewables, not just wind/solar. There's a lot of biomass in the mix and I think solar is on average pretty puny. I think renewables are at around about 20% now, on track for 35% by 2020. The increase of the EEG-Umlage to 5.8 cents per KWh compares with a reduction in price to industrial users from 94.6 Euros per KWh in 2007 to 86.0 Euros this year. And this 'industry killer' employs 400K people.

The wholesale price of natural gas can vary by several hundred percent over a few years. Looks like by 2050, Germany will be protected from the fluctuations of the oil and gas markets, the sector will probably employ say half a million people and she will be a world leader in emissions reduction.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I agree. It could be madness, on the other hand it could put them in the driving seat when it comes to renewable R&D and manufacturing if it works, and the rest of the world want/need to follow. It could totally re-invent & re-invigorate their current position of strength.

But it seems a long shot.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
            she will be a world leader in emissions reduction.
            Aye...once you've destroyed your industrial base then your emissions are bound to go down
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              The target is for all renewables, not just wind/solar. There's a lot of biomass in the mix and I think solar is on average pretty puny. I think renewables are at around about 20% now, on track for 35% by 2020. The increase of the EEG-Umlage to 5.8 cents per KWh compares with a reduction in price to industrial users from 94.6 Euros per KWh in 2007 to 86.0 Euros this year. And this 'industry killer' employs 400K people.

The wholesale price of natural gas can vary by several hundred percent over a few years. Looks like by 2050, Germany will be protected from the fluctuations of the oil and gas markets, the sector will probably employ say half a million people and she will be a world leader in emissions reduction.
              I'm not knocking it, it's an admirable ambition.
              But no one seems to have sat down and thought about whether it's possible to do this for 100% of a heavily industrialised country's needs.
              Yes to a certain extent they've protected industry by stinging consumers like Lord Haw Haw (still makes me chuckle his thinking his bill is low ), but I think they're coming to the limit of this already.
              My mate in Berlin tells me "energy poverty" cases, people who can't pay their bills, are rising dramatically.
              And I talked to a businessman the other day from North-rhine Westphalia who claimed his bills have risen in the last 2 years - not sure how they're subsidising small businesses in that case - I think each region has a different policy, so its all a bit of a mess.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

In the meantime the climate carries on changing just as it always has
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  ... by 2050.
                  As a result Lord Haw-Haw pays Euro 310 a quarter leccy bill for his tiny one-bed flat.
                  I should add that includes my hot water, otherwise known as hot rent.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    It's a very simple things to achieve as long as you don't mind power cuts.
                    Why would there be power cuts?

Unlike the UK most German supplies are underground, not ugly pylons littering the landscape.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The increase of the EEG-Umlage to 5.8 cents per KWh compares with a reduction in price to industrial users from 94.6 Euros per KWh in 2007 to 86.0 Euros this year.
                      you sure? I thought my leccy was expensive.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X