• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what do you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what do you do?

Someone just asked me this.

I swear at computers
    seemed like the right answer.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Someone just asked me this.

seemed like the right answer.
    I work for the Government

Technically correct and sounds far more interesting that what I actually do....
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm a seal-clubber is my usual response

Comment

something with ERP.

Never mention computers, you end up fixing their £25 inkjet they got free with their virus infested laptop.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Never mention computers, you end up fixing their £25 inkjet they got free with their virus infested laptop.
          Or, in my case, swearing at it for him.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

A consistent approach, very sensible.

Comment

I can multi task, I can swear at it and smear congealed ink over my fingers at the same time.

who says I'm not versatile.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                something with ERP.

I've just about stopped roffling at this after reading it

I mentioned I 'worked in IT' to the Landlady of a B&B once. Big mistake. She had me fixing a 'broken' TV in one of the rooms. Turns out she didn't grasp the concept of one remote for the TV and one for the Freeview and had been 'figuring it out for days and had the whole lot unplugged several times to no avail'.

It's worse when you mention past ClientCos. especially Telcos. I think some people half expect you to climb the telegraph pole outside their house to diagnose their borked landline
                Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
                  I've just about stopped roffling at this after reading it

I mentioned I 'worked in IT' to the Landlady of a B&B once. Big mistake. She had me fixing a 'broken' TV in one of the rooms. Turns out she didn't grasp the concept of one remote for the TV and one for the Freeview and had been 'figuring it out for days and had the whole lot unplugged several times to no avail'.

It's worse when you mention past ClientCos. especially Telcos. I think some people half expect you to climb the telegraph pole outside their house to diagnose their borked landline
                  OTOH telling people, especially women, that you work for/on an adult dating site tends to have an altogether different effect.

Comment

Invoice, the rest is just filler

Whenever IT is mentioned the response is usually "oh like programming, or more like fixing laptops?". I think my job is more like solving general problems. Ostensibly computer related but more often its a case of getting people to think properly about what they really want or indeed just talk to each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X