So what do you do? So what do you do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164

    Default So what do you do?

    Someone just asked me this.

    I swear at computers
    seemed like the right answer.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

  2. #2

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    20,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    Someone just asked me this.



    seemed like the right answer.
    I work for the Government

    Technically correct and sounds far more interesting that what I actually do....
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning

    RedSauce is too good to be a permie

    RedSauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    661

    Default

    I'm a seal-clubber is my usual response

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,567

    Default

    something with ERP.

    Never mention computers, you end up fixing their £25 inkjet they got free with their virus infested laptop.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  5. #5

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Never mention computers, you end up fixing their £25 inkjet they got free with their virus infested laptop.
    Or, in my case, swearing at it for him.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

  6. #6

    Banned

    TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    Or, in my case, swearing at it for him.
    A consistent approach, very sensible.

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    Or, in my case, swearing at it for him.
    I can multi task, I can swear at it and smear congealed ink over my fingers at the same time.

    who says I'm not versatile.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  8. #8

    Should post faster

    Mephisto is too good to be a permie

    Mephisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    something with ERP.

    Never mention computers, you end up fixing their £25 inkjet they got free with their virus infested laptop.
    I've just about stopped roffling at this after reading it

    I mentioned I 'worked in IT' to the Landlady of a B&B once. Big mistake. She had me fixing a 'broken' TV in one of the rooms. Turns out she didn't grasp the concept of one remote for the TV and one for the Freeview and had been 'figuring it out for days and had the whole lot unplugged several times to no avail'.

    It's worse when you mention past ClientCos. especially Telcos. I think some people half expect you to climb the telegraph pole outside their house to diagnose their borked landline

  9. #9

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    I've just about stopped roffling at this after reading it

    I mentioned I 'worked in IT' to the Landlady of a B&B once. Big mistake. She had me fixing a 'broken' TV in one of the rooms. Turns out she didn't grasp the concept of one remote for the TV and one for the Freeview and had been 'figuring it out for days and had the whole lot unplugged several times to no avail'.

    It's worse when you mention past ClientCos. especially Telcos. I think some people half expect you to climb the telegraph pole outside their house to diagnose their borked landline
    OTOH telling people, especially women, that you work for/on an adult dating site tends to have an altogether different effect.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

  10. #10

    Still gathering requirements...

    IRMe has no reputation


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Invoice, the rest is just filler

    Whenever IT is mentioned the response is usually "oh like programming, or more like fixing laptops?". I think my job is more like solving general problems. Ostensibly computer related but more often its a case of getting people to think properly about what they really want or indeed just talk to each other.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •