• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something quite sinister about the global financial crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    I think not having to work is a good definition of who's rich and who isn't.
    oops I did a SAS !

The Shocking Amount of Wealth and Power Held by 0.001% of the World Population | Alternet

Also the media constantly aligns people in work in the UK with those in LEDCs. Live on a dollar a day!
    Last edited by vetran; 23 September 2013, 13:42.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
      More and more I'm seeing mention in the media of how the gap between the rich (the 1%) and the rest of us (the 99%) is wider than ever.
      Why are the rich the 1%, not the 10%?

And is this true? The poor (in the UK at least) can get free medical & dental treatment, free education for their children, a roof over their head, enough money for food and clothing, and even in many cases enough left over for the odd luxury.

It seems to me the poor are far richer in our country than 100 years ago.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Why are the rich the 1%, not the 10%?

And is this true? The poor (in the UK at least) can get free medical & dental treatment, free education for their children, a roof over their head, enough money for food and clothing, and even in many cases enough left over for the odd luxury.

It seems to me the poor are far richer in our country than 100 years ago.
        Depends on your definition of rich. UK is rich compared to LEDCs but <1% of people own most of the wealth in UK. Just as <1% of tax payers pay the significant amount of tax. Rich suggests you have more money than you need, not just more than most.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rich

currently yes UK people are richer better off than 100 years ago, however I suspect that will change. As the amount of significant tax payers dwindles then Benefits will become less generous. This is already happening but we are just borrowing to fund it. sooner or later even Wonga won't lend to us (though PFI was pretty close).
        Last edited by vetran; 23 September 2013, 13:34.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          <1% of people own most of the wealth in UK. Just as <1% of tax payers pay the significant amount of tax.
          I smell unsubstantiated twaddle.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            It's the usual suspect.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              It's the usual suspect.
              Keyser Söze ?
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Indeed you do that is in the states.

UK: income inequalities - The Poverty Site

we have the richest tenth taking 31% of the annual income and the bottom tenth taking 1%.

and 40% of wealth

Richest 10% of UK households own 40% of wealth, ONS says | Money | The Guardian

However in the richest 1000 in the UK have raised their holdings by £35BN

Michael Meacher MP » Blog Archive » Richest 1,000 persons in UK have increased their wealth in last year by £35bn

which was my point, the smoke & mirrors suggest the top 10%, 20% are the problem but earning £60k is hardly being rich.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  Keyser Söze ?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist.

OUSQ

Comment

Working...
                  X