• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Made 10% on my BTL in the last year ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...or so I'm told by my agent (based on price I paid and likely selling price if I was to sell this year).
    None of my other investments are yielding this much, so is it time to free up some resources and buy another?
    You haven't "made" anything at all. Yet.

What has happened is your agent has told you that the current market price is potentially higher than your purchase price ( less transaction fees and taxes of course! ). You have been Marked-to-market.

The agent is probably just looking to generate transactions.

What is the yield of the property?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      The point I'm making is that crowing on the internet about an investment that's considerably underperformed the stock market index is like crowing that you entered a race and came second last...
      I agree with this entirely, but it's not quite that simple. If you outperform your benchmark by 10% for two years running it is fantastic, but not if the standard deviation of return over 20 years is 80%. Your point is well made though.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        You haven't "made" anything at all. Yet.

What has happened is your agent has told you that the current market price is potentially higher than your purchase price ( less transaction fees and taxes of course! ). You have been Marked-to-market.

The agent is probably just looking to generate transactions.

What is the yield of the property?
        I imagine SAS is referring to his mark-to-market, a simple process in which you value something at the price you can currently sell it (including the costs of sale) and compare it against what you purchased it for, including the costs of holding it for that period and also taking into account the opportunity cost of the original cash. Either that or it's a crude and half-meaningless 10% return

Comment

The point I'm making is that crowing on the internet about an investment that's considerably underperformed the stock market index is like crowing that you entered a race and came second last...
          Far from crowing I was just observing that the London housing market is on the move again.
          A theoretical 10% is neither here nor there since I don't intend to sell the property - I look on it as part of my pension portfolio.
          Personally I'd rather house prices crashed as buying oppos would present themselves with potentially much larger rises possible from a low base - a la 1995-2007, which I took advantage of.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by PEEL View Post
            I imagine SAS is referring to his mark-to-market, a simple process in which you value something at the price you can currently sell it (including the costs of sale) and compare it against what you purchased it for, including the costs of holding it for that period and also taking into account the opportunity cost of the original cash. Either that or it's a crude and half-meaningless 10% return
            Sas is trying, unsuccessfully, to make people believe he has such a thing in the first place. Saying you have made 105 on your BTL is meaningless unless you have made 10% and given he's still pretending to own it, he hasn't realised anything in financial terms. Look at CGT on that 10%, look at Hector currently targetting landlords and it's a mugs game. We were yielding, net mind, 1% in our BTL's after all charges, mortgage interest, damages and tax was taken away. We did, however, sell one property for 40% more than we paid, and the other for 30% more than we paid as we sold up.

Comment

Are you saying that 25% stock market growth is a normal thing that can be expected for next 12 months?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Are you saying that 25% stock market growth is a normal thing that can be expected for next 12 months?
                One acronym explains that: QE.
                I do have stocks and shares investments obviously but only as a long term bet.
                I don't think anyone can predict what's going to happen there, if they ever did.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Of course you do, for you're so clever, you have every base covered

Comment

Working...
                  X