• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mental

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who in holy flip is creating these descriptions?

I strongly suspect that they have simply bought these in off the Septics who aren't so bothered and also get really over-excited about Halloween.

Comment

Just caught the lunchtime news with sign language. Not sure the BSL representation of mentally ill is very PC either!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Just caught the lunchtime news with sign language. Not sure the BSL representation of mentally ill is very PC either!
        Oh crikey. What did it involve?
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          Oh crikey. What did it involve?
          Well there was fingers wiggling by his head, and stabbing motions into his palm. There was no sound, so I couldn't accurately match sign with words, but it was quite funny. Someone here must know sign language?

Comment

Well there was fingers wiggling by his head, and stabbing motions into his palm. There was no sound, so I couldn't accurately match sign with words, but it was quite funny. Someone here must know sign language?
            I use some basic sign language quite often while I'm driving.
            Sometimes it involves finger wiggling by my head, but more often I just give the coffee bean shake.

I'm sure the other drivers interpret it in the way it was intended - I'm just trying to be a good neighbour and asking if they feel awake or need some caffeine.

Comment

I found this video on youtube with subtitles.

You are right about what mental is.

Though I remember watching something on sign language and they explained that it wasn't very PC. So for example if there was someone in a group of friends who has a large head called "Peter" they would sign a large head when talking about him.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

True, story we going to The Magic Theatre for a Halloween event and decided to dressed up as a corpse bride and groom and for convenience decided to book a nice hotel not far away

In hindsight perhaps we should have booked somewhere cheaper, as unknown to us most of the hotel was mostly booked out for someones wedding reception, and seemingly mostly a bunch of Christian fundamentalists

So we get down to reception dressed to go out thinking crikey they're really going to think we're taking the p1ss and tried to sneak out without anyone seeing us
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Are you wearing one?
                  Yes but to him it is a uniform not fancy dress
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I remember seeing the news once when a signer denoted a plane crash. It looked pretty much as you'd expect it to look, with one hand held horizontally while the other dove towards it at a steep angle; followed by both clenched hands thrusting upwards and unfolding, to represent the plume of smoke arising from the exploding wreckage that wasn't actually mentioned in the verbal language

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I remember seeing the news once when a signer denoted a plane crash. It looked pretty much as you'd expect it to look, with one hand held horizontally while the other dove towards it at a steep angle; followed by both clenched hands thrusting upwards and unfolding, to represent the plume of smoke arising from the exploding wreckage that wasn't actually mentioned in the verbal language
                      Adam Hills - Characterful - Part 1

Oh, is that how you sign ?

Comment

Working...
                      X