• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much are you prepared to pay towards mortgage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey View Post
    You are probably right cause in London renting is much cheaper than buying these days.

All: object only if you know the market.
    +1 applies to me

but I guess it depends on the area you are in.

Comment

You are probably right cause in London renting is much cheaper than buying these days.

All: object only if you know the market.
      But AtW doesn't live in London...

Comment

So how would you describe the Londoners loading up to pay 50-60% of the combined household net income?
        Future property billionaires and sasguru role models.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If you buy a property then you can be a winner too.......
          Stop nicking the Tories election campaign lines.....

Comment

I am (only just) under 30 so it really depends on your age. I have taken quite a high mortgage (25% of my income, <20% of our joint income when Mrs NWP2C starts working again). I am hopeful that inflation will make our mortgage seem quite negligible in about 10 years time. Obviously if you are well into your 40s or 50s then your view will be quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Jimmy Savile's but n ben?
              Long time since I've read that term... can't get Sunday Post down here in Engerland.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
                Long time since I've read that term... can't get Sunday Post down here in Engerland.
                Even the Broons have noe got skyTV in their but n ben.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

About a third. Having said that, I paid 50% for several years and it was OK - depends what your income and other outgoings are like. The more you earn, the less 50% is a problem since most living costs are about the same for everyone - gas/electric/water/council tax/phone etc.

I'd rather pay more on a mortgage than rent - owning a house in London is usually like having another job in terms of income and while there's a risk that the value will go down, long term UK property is a good investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
                    About a third. Having said that, I paid 50% for several years and it was OK - depends what your income and other outgoings are like. The more you earn, the less 50% is a problem since most living costs are about the same for everyone - gas/electric/water/council tax/phone etc.

I'd rather pay more on a mortgage than rent - owning a house in London is usually like having another job in terms of income and while there's a risk that the value will go down, long term UK property is a good investment.
                    And unlike most things, government (tax payer) backed and tax free on sale profits.
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      I am (only just) under 30 so it really depends on your age. I have taken quite a high mortgage (25% of my income, <20% of our joint income when Mrs NWP2C starts working again). I am hopeful that inflation will make our mortgage seem quite negligible in about 10 years time. Obviously if you are well into your 40s or 50s then your view will be quite different.
                      Not to dissimilar figures to us, I'm guessing your outside of the S.E. bubble from your username so a bit of house price inflation/stability could be a good thing. It will be interesting to see how bringing forward the help2buy scheme is going to impact the none S.E.
                      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                      X