• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Btl AdviCe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btl AdviCe

Can anyone recommend a decent eBook that would show me the ropes?
    Last edited by Chunk; 30 September 2013, 10:52.

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
    Can anyone re commend a decent eBook that would show me thre ropes?
    Once a always a it seems.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Once a always a it seems.
      Don't blame him, its a labour educashun.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Hi Dim
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
          Can anyone recommend a decent eBook that would show me the ropes?
          Knots, Splices and Rope Work, by A Hyatt Verrill (2nd ed, 1917)

HTH
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Disappointing set of responses. Will keep an eye on this thread as interested in learning more. More so on how the accounting side works- what u can offset etc against profit. What sort of rent you need vs house vale for it to work.
            "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
            Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
              Disappointing set of responses. Will keep an eye on this thread as interested in learning more. More so on how the accounting side works- what u can offset etc against profit. What sort of rent you need vs house vale for it to work.
              There are endless guides on the web that will answer those questions. There are also free excel spreadsheets that allow you to put in all the details and will calculate your RoI. Playing with these numbers will also show you what is worth it and what isn't.

The most important factor in getting a BTL is to do your research and buying an idiots guide is not research.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

The most important factor in getting a BTL is to do your research and buying an idiots guide is not research.
                No but It's a start. Besides, what research do you do on top of what you would normally do for a residential purpose? You need to have a rough idea of ROI easily obtainable from checking out local estate agencies and some idea of your customer base. E.g if you are you letting to families then local amenities & a good school nearby arquite important. If I were to let out a small flat then I'd probably want somethinh like a hospital nearby full of nurses who I'd be able to rent it out to.

Not exactly back breaking research.

At the moment I'm thinking of a BTL in Basingstoke -looking at a serviced apartment. There's a huge pool of potential lessees up there. All those Indian fellas need rooves over their heads....

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                  No but It's a start. Besides, what research do you do on top of what you would normally do for a residential purpose? You need to have a rough idea of ROI easily obtainable from checking out local estate agencies and some idea of your customer base. E.g if you are you letting to families then local amenities & a good school nearby arquite important. If I were to let out a small flat then I'd probably want somethinh like a hospital nearby full of nurses who I'd be able to rent it out to.

Not exactly back breaking research.

At the moment I'm thinking of a BTL in Basingstoke -looking at a serviced apartment. There's a huge pool of potential lessees up there. All those Indian fellas need rooves over their heads....
                  That kind of stuff. Checking the community charge of a flat is important, the number of flats in the area, which way the area is going, is it on it's way out so will lose house value. There is checking the rental values for similar properties in the area and see if they are on their way up or down. How many other properties are let in the area and so on and so on.

Just assuming a nice new flat in a city centre is a dead cert for example is just asking for a fall. I guess it is the same in most cities but so many flats went up in Manchester over a 5 or 6 year period the market just died leaving a lot of landlords in the lurch.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 30 September 2013, 12:55.

Comment

Working...
                  X