• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are agencies allergic to email ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One was persistent this morning, told them I wasn't available till the new year

So wanted to know what notice period I had, and whether I was prepared to dump my present client

At this point they hadn't even mentioned what skillset they were looking for beyond muttering something about it being a contract in London

They could have mistaken me for a hitman for all I know....

Devious little tulips anyway, they give Arthur Daley a bad name, and the answer was NO
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Keyboards usually don't work with all the hair gel flying about the office.

Comment

I've just had an phone interview that I didn't really want to attend.

It's great when you don't want the contract.

I told them that they would need more people than me for the mountain of work they described - not sure how well that went down...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

They don't need to email as by the power of telepathy they'll communicate to us just how a "perfect fit" we are for their (usually) non-existent role.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Many agents also promise to send an email after they call and then they don't do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Supply and Command View Post
              I've always been more of an email person, at least when it comes to agencies belting out the sales pitch over the phone. Some comical scenarios include me repeatedly saying 'I don't want to work in Germany' while being forced to listen to a non-stop high-volume ten minute bipolar-manic rant on the virtues of working in Germany.

Anyway I've noticed recently that agencies just will not send an email if they can't get through to your phone. I am intruiged about the reason for this: maybe Edward Snowden has scared people into believing that phone calls are less susceptible to espionage, or maybe the clients insist on such a quick turnaround at the moment that immediate contact is essential ?
              A lot of people do not seem to understand that emails are a very bad way for human beings to communicate. Emails should be for information only or as a means for stimulating a conversation. Emails contain no mood no context and are easily misconstrued.

think about it. It is much harder to get someone to get your references out of you by email than a good old "charm offensive on the phone does
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                +1

I emailed an agent yesterday, explaining why I was now not going to be attending an interview later this week. I gave full & frank reasons in the email, and apologised for any inconvenience.

She called almost as soon as I hit send, to ask me the questions I'd answered in my email.

She also told me she was 'disappointed' I had accepted something else, as she wasn't 'aware' I was looking elsewhere.
                you surprised her, if it was the other way round and you weren't a fit for the job, the interview had been cancelled or a the client now wanted a professional juggler I bet she wouldn't tell you.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  One was persistent this morning, told them I wasn't available till the new year

So wanted to know what notice period I had, and whether I was prepared to dump my present client

At this point they hadn't even mentioned what skillset they were looking for beyond muttering something about it being a contract in London

They could have mistaken me for a hitman for all I know....

Devious little tulips anyway, they give Arthur Daley a bad name, and the answer was NO
                  nothing like a bit of professionalism!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X