• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Woman tried and sentenced without her knowing it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Miranda rights are conveyed by the arresting officer to the prisoner, but you are nearly right

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights. In this country you have the "Right to silence" which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.

It is known as being "Mirandarised" here in the UK
    It's only "the UK implementation of Miranda rights" in the same sense that The Tower of London is the UK implementation of The Pentagon

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      It's only "the UK implementation of Miranda rights" in the same sense that The Tower of London is the UK implementation of The Pentagon
      So you agree with me

I'm on fire today.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I'm on fire today.
        Quick - someone piss on suity!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Quick - someone piss on suity!
          One at a time! One at a time!!

Comment

Miranda rights are conveyed by the arresting officer to the prisoner, but you are nearly right
            No - the suspect already has the rights. The arresting officer reads the rights to remind them of them, so you are nearly right

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights.
            No - the rights that are conveyed (the right to silence and the right to an attorney) are given by the fifth and sixth amendments to the constitution of the United States, so you are nearly right

In this country you have the "Right to silence"
            No, you don't. You have the right not to say anything but it may harm your defence if you later rely on something that you haven't said. This is significantly different from a right to silence, and was changed in 1994. So you are nearly right

which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.
            No, it isn't. There are other rights which a suspect is read as part of their Miranda rights, which are supplementary to the right to silence, eg the right to a lawyer. These are not part of English law. So you are nearly right

Maybe in Luton. However, if you Google "Mirandarised" and "UK" you get no UK links, and such gems as "You Get Paid For Being A Jerk". If you Google "Mirandarized" with the American spelling, you get lots of American links, which suggests that it might be an American term that you've heard on TV in the UK and assumed is the same over here as it is there. So you are nearly right
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Have a read

Be sure to read the bit about America down the bottom, won't you be a dear?

Be sure to read the bit about England and Wales in the middle, won't you dear?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

First I've heard of it being used here - I thought the term "under caution" was used in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  Simpering drivel
                  Good so we're agreed.

Man I'm on fire today.

Comment

Reading the above thread, I'm beginning to think suity and scooterscot are the same person.

Comment

Have a read

Be sure to read the bit about America down the bottom, won't you be a dear?

This is similar to the right to silence clause in the Miranda Warning in the US.
                      sim·i·lar
                      /ˈsimələr/
                      Adjective
                      Having a resemblance in appearance, character, or quantity, without being identical
                      So does that mean they are the same or different
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X