• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Woman tried and sentenced without her knowing it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woman tried and sentenced without her knowing it

Linky

No Miranda rights. No right to an attourney. Nada. Then thrown in jail.

The woman imprisoned by a secret court yesterday described the shocking moment police descended on her father’s care home to ‘cart me off to jail’.

Wanda Maddocks was sentenced for trying to remove her father John from a home where his family thought he was in danger of dying.

But she was not present in court, nor was she represented by a lawyer, when the judgment was made – and her sentencing was not made public for six months.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Why would she have Miranda rights?

Just read this some more.
    There was a court order that he was to remain in the care home.
    She took him Turkey instead, and only returned when they could not access his pension or savings. She describes herself as a successful businesswoman, and he had alzheimers - why did she need access to his pension or savings?

It's not 100% clear whether she was summoned to court for the Contempt hearing and didn't attend, or just knew nothing about it.
    Last edited by Ticktock; 3 October 2013, 16:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      Why would she have Miranda rights?

OK so first you get arrested. Then you get charged. Then you are tried. Then you are sentenced.

Going back to point 1. When they arrest you, they read you your rights, right? Right!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

OK so first you get arrested. Then you get charged. Then you are tried. Then you are sentenced.

Going back to point 1. When they arrest you, they read you your rights, right? Right!

Right. In this country, they are your rights under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (or whatever has superseded it), whereas Miranda rights are conveyed by the Supreme Court of the United States ruling in Miranda v Arizona. American legislation has no place in English law.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

From the article

Last night the case was at the centre of a furious row over behind-closed-doors justice as MPs condemned the secrecy of the court that jailed Miss Maddocks.
          If MPs are so cross then why did they vote for the law that allowed it to happen?

(29) No Freeman shall be taken or imprisoned, or be disseised of his Freehold, or Liberties, or free Customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or any other wise destroyed; nor will We not pass upon him, nor condemn him, but by lawful judgment of his Peers, or by the Law of the Land.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            From the article

Last night the case was at the centre of a furious row over behind-closed-doors justice as MPs condemned the secrecy of the court that jailed Miss Maddocks.
            If MPs are so cross then why did they vote for the law that allowed it to happen?
            Because there isn't a furious row, and most (if not all) of the circumstances are not as described. The article is from the Mail, remember?

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
              Right. In this country, they are your rights under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (or whatever has superseded it), whereas Miranda rights are conveyed by the Supreme Court of the United States ruling in Miranda v Arizona. American legislation has no place in English law.

Miranda rights are conveyed by the arresting officer to the prisoner, but you are nearly right

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights. In this country you have the "Right to silence" which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.

It is known as being "Mirandarised" here in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Miranda rights are conveyed by the arresting officer to the prisoner, but you are nearly right

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights. In this country you have the "Right to silence" which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.

It is known as being "Mirandarised" here in the UK
                Hang on why would the arresting officer give the person the right to silence, surely that right is given by default.

At no point in the UK is Miranda or a variance of such ever used unless its by people who don't know the correct terminology..... oh sorry Suity!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Hang on why would the arresting officer give the person the right to silence, surely that right is given by default.

At no point in the UK is Miranda or a variance of such ever used unless its by people who don't know the correct terminology..... oh sorry Suity!
                  Plain wrong, sorry Simon. Why don't you got out and get arrested and report back your findings

Comment

Have a read

Be sure to read the bit about America down the bottom, won't you be a dear?

Comment

Working...
                    X