Woman tried and sentenced without her knowing it Woman tried and sentenced without her knowing it
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 22

Potty-trained

suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

Default Woman tried and sentenced without her knowing it

Linky

No Miranda rights. No right to an attourney. Nada. Then thrown in jail.

The woman imprisoned by a secret court yesterday described the shocking moment police descended on her father’s care home to ‘cart me off to jail’.

Wanda Maddocks was sentenced for trying to remove her father John from a home where his family thought he was in danger of dying.

But she was not present in court, nor was she represented by a lawyer, when the judgment was made – and her sentencing was not made public for six months.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Super poster

Ticktock has more data than eek

Why would she have Miranda rights?

Just read this some more.
    There was a court order that he was to remain in the care home.
    She took him Turkey instead, and only returned when they could not access his pension or savings. She describes herself as a successful businesswoman, and he had alzheimers - why did she need access to his pension or savings?

It's not 100% clear whether she was summoned to court for the Contempt hearing and didn't attend, or just knew nothing about it.
    Last edited by Ticktock; 3rd October 2013 at 16:00.

Potty-trained

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktock View Post
    Why would she have Miranda rights?

OK so first you get arrested. Then you get charged. Then you are tried. Then you are sentenced.

Going back to point 1. When they arrest you, they read you your rights, right? Right!

Contractor Among Contractors

DirtyDog has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post

OK so first you get arrested. Then you get charged. Then you are tried. Then you are sentenced.

Going back to point 1. When they arrest you, they read you your rights, right? Right!

Right. In this country, they are your rights under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (or whatever has superseded it), whereas Miranda rights are conveyed by the Supreme Court of the United States ruling in Miranda v Arizona. American legislation has no place in English law.

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

From the article

Last night the case was at the centre of a furious row over behind-closed-doors justice as MPs condemned the secrecy of the court that jailed Miss Maddocks.
    If MPs are so cross then why did they vote for the law that allowed it to happen?

(29) No Freeman shall be taken or imprisoned, or be disseised of his Freehold, or Liberties, or free Customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or any other wise destroyed; nor will We not pass upon him, nor condemn him, but by lawful judgment of his Peers, or by the Law of the Land.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

My post count is Majestic

NickFitz has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    From the article

Last night the case was at the centre of a furious row over behind-closed-doors justice as MPs condemned the secrecy of the court that jailed Miss Maddocks.
    If MPs are so cross then why did they vote for the law that allowed it to happen?
    Because there isn't a furious row, and most (if not all) of the circumstances are not as described. The article is from the Mail, remember?

Potty-trained

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
    Right. In this country, they are your rights under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (or whatever has superseded it), whereas Miranda rights are conveyed by the Supreme Court of the United States ruling in Miranda v Arizona. American legislation has no place in English law.

Miranda rights are conveyed by the arresting officer to the prisoner, but you are nearly right

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights. In this country you have the "Right to silence" which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.

It is known as being "Mirandarised" here in the UK

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Miranda rights are conveyed by the arresting officer to the prisoner, but you are nearly right

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights. In this country you have the "Right to silence" which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.

It is known as being "Mirandarised" here in the UK
    Hang on why would the arresting officer give the person the right to silence, surely that right is given by default.

At no point in the UK is Miranda or a variance of such ever used unless its by people who don't know the correct terminology..... oh sorry Suity!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Potty-trained

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Hang on why would the arresting officer give the person the right to silence, surely that right is given by default.

At no point in the UK is Miranda or a variance of such ever used unless its by people who don't know the correct terminology..... oh sorry Suity!
    Plain wrong, sorry Simon. Why don't you got out and get arrested and report back your findings

Potty-trained

Have a read

Be sure to read the bit about America down the bottom, won't you be a dear?