• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proper wail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper wail

Muslim Tesco workers win discrimination case after bosses locked prayer room | Mail Online

Muslim supermarket workers win discrimination case against Tesco after bosses locked their prayer room and made them sign in and out
    Workers had lobbied for a prayer room at distribution depot since 2006
    Managers agreed to set aside a security office in 2008
    But bosses set new restrictions on the use of the room four years later
    Bedford Employment Tribunal found Tesco guilty of indirect discrimination
    seems a bit odd it was upheld.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Not if it's Bedford, perhaps the employment tribunal is run by the local taliban
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      Not if it's Bedford, perhaps the employment tribunal is run by the local taliban
      Thought the same

Comment

What's odd about it? If you were forced to sign a piece of paper notifying your employer every time you had a cigarette or did a dump, wouldn't you feel aggrieved?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Firstly the newspapers especially the Wail miss out important points when reporting on why people win or lose tribunals. They especially do this in discrimination cases.

Secondly you don't lock prayer rooms. People who can't pray at the set time make up their pray later. There is no issue making employees sign in and out if they are taking a break to do whatever including smoking, but if you make only one group of people sign in and out i.e. those who use the pray room but not smokers then you are discriminating. Everyone religious or not is allowed to use a pray room for quiet reflection time.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Firstly the newspapers especially the Wail miss out important points when reporting on why people win or lose tribunals. They especially do this in discrimination cases.

Secondly you don't lock prayer rooms. People who can't pray at the set time make up their pray later. There is no issue making employees sign in and out if they are taking a break to do whatever including smoking, but if you make only one group of people sign in and out i.e. those who use the pray room but not smokers then you are discriminating. Everyone religious or not is allowed to use a pray room for quiet reflection time.
            I'm getting to the point where I hardly ever read papers because they are either full of stories like this designed to make you angry or endless tedium about whatever the current fixation in the Westminster bubble happens to be.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              I'm getting to the point where I hardly ever read papers because they are either full of stories like this designed to make you angry or endless tedium about whatever the current fixation in the Westminster bubble happens to be.
              +1 - also all papers are full of "lifestyle" journalism and celebrity crap. Then again, so is the BBC now - and the entire media is massively South East of England biased in its outlook.

Comment

Working...
              X