Cut out and keep: How to behave in Britain Cut out and keep: How to behave in Britain
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 15

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Default Cut out and keep: How to behave in Britain

This is great: Britain
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Banned

wurzel is too good to be a permie

A different world...

Some things haven't changed though:

The British don't know how to make a good cup of coffee.
    Thank God for Costa

Super poster

MyUserName is NOT a disguised employee

There are housewives in aprons and youngsters in knee pants in Britain who have lived through more high explosives in air raids than many soldiers saw in first class barrages in the last war.
    I actually found that quite chilling.

Helps me remember how easy my life is compared to many though!
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Contractor 'til I die

doodab 's job has never been outsourced

It made me proud to be from such good stock and live in such a wonderful country.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

Very interesting.

There was something on QI about how American GIs had been warned about the different attitudes to race in Britain, i.e. that the British were just as welcoming (or otherwise) to black American soldiers as to white soldiers, whereas the white Americans were a bit shocked to go into the pubs and discover they were expected to drink in the same room as the blacks.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Super poster

MyUserName is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    There was something on QI about how American GIs had been warned about the different attitudes to race in Britain, i.e. that the British were just as welcoming (or otherwise) to black American soldiers as to white soldiers, whereas the white Americans were a bit shocked to go into the pubs and discover they were expected to drink in the same room as the blacks.
    ISTR they Americans demanded segregated regiments which they were granted by the MOD. They also demanded segregated pubs but the landlords refused. They went in to pubs and often tried to beat up the black guys there but were surprised (and probably injured) when the white British would intervene and fought alongside their black countrymen. Made me proud to be British.

A friend who was in the army more recently was told by some Americans who they were working with that their unit had been told "don't drink with the British, don't gamble with the British and for God's sake don't fight with the British".
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Double Godlike!

stek - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by MyUserName View Post
    ISTR they Americans demanded segregated regiments which they were granted by the MOD. They also demanded segregated pubs but the landlords refused. They went in to pubs and often tried to beat up the black guys there but were surprised (and probably injured) when the white British would intervene and fought alongside their black countrymen. Made me proud to be British.

A friend who was in the army more recently was told by some Americans who they were working with that their unit had been told "don't drink with the British, don't gamble with the British and for God's sake don't fight with the British".
    Sounds like a plot from 'Goodnight Sweetheart'!

Banned

TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced

Excellent find thanks for posting the link.

More time posting than coding

sirja is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by MyUserName View Post

It's a sad fact that while the Americans were 'The good guys' for many blacks that was not the experience. In fact Jesse Owens has said that he had more freedom in Nazi Berlin during the Olympics than back home in the US. It's really nice to read that the good people of the UK drew a line on this kind of nonsense.

Super poster

Gibbon is NOT a disguised employee

Nice informative post, thank you.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger