• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting article on offshoring & oursourcing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    "Cloud Computing" is potentially going to gut what remains IT departments and I think it is also going to have a dramatic effect on the current outsourcers such as Infosys, Wipro etc as they have a very linear business model ( get as many chargeable resources into a company for as long as possible ).

For example if a corporation implements a SaaS CRM package then they don't need any infrastructure people to feed & water the servers, don't need anyone to upgrade the software and they wont be running any substantial "development" projects on it ( so no PM's, developers and BA's ), IT Ops .... well they wont need those either because they are provided by the SaaS Vendor.

Change Management people? Well as they aren't running projects, they wont need any, and as they don't "own" the application then they don't have any say in changes anyway.

Integrating into another system? Well it's likely that the SaaS vendor will have already done that .... so no integration projects.

Of course there will still be roles .... security for example. Process mapping and I think training and "evangelism" will increase in importance.
    If only :
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      If only :
      Ok. I exaggerate a bit to make a point.

But when the application is "owned" entirely by a 3rd party and you are just renting access to it then your scope to develop is constrained.

What I think this means is that in the long term IT development done in-house will gravitate to whatever genuinely creates a business advantage for the organisation rather than anything that can be delivered as a service.

And I think that development gets done in-house by people very close to the business.

Comment

Working...
      X