• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Premier League one third English

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Oh but it is and the FA have opened their new training school, St. Georges but its a little bit late. The Germans saw that their national team were doing absolutely tulip a few years back and decided to invest in the youth and although they may not have won much they still have a formidable team and the Bundesliga clubs are a force to be reckoned with. However you talk about other sports here but where do these people train? Many of them live and train abroad because the UK either does not have the facilities, coaches, etc. or does not invest in the sport even though the Olympics was meant to be the kickstart to investment in sport, the government is still cutting back in that area. When I was at school we had football and rugby pitches, a cricket pitch, a full complement of athletic facilites, tennis courts, netball, 2 indoor gyms, etc. When I went back to look at my old school they only had one football pitch and one gym, all the outside facilites were now housing. That is where the problem lies, no investment in youth...
    I think quite a few top sportspeople come from private schools that have great facilities, universities like Loughborough that have top class sports facilities, and in one or two sports like cycling there's been investment by private and public parties in facilities.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

There are players in the Bundesliga who have British parents and are eligible to play for England, in fact one now plays for Tottenham: Lewis Holtby, but they decided not to and instead are picked for the German national team, why? They'll quite happily play in the PL but not for England...
      I think the current rule in England is that players need to have had 5 years schooling here before the age of 18 to be eligible to play four our national team.

It means that all the fuss about the Man Utd player (and Lewis Holtby), is a watse of time as their not eligible anyway.
      If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
        I think the current rule in England is that players need to have had 5 years schooling here before the age of 18 to be eligible to play four our national team.

It means that all the fuss about the Man Utd player (and Lewis Holtby), is a watse of time as their not eligible anyway.
        Lewis Holtby is eligible as his father is from Liverpool but decided to play internationally for Germany as that is where he was born, brought up and lives (also his mother is German.) Aaron Hunt who plays for Bremen has a German father and British mother but also made the same decision whereas Owen Hargreaves who was born in Canada to British parents decided to play for England rather than Canada or Wales. One of the funnier stories concerns Sean Dundee who was a South African who played in Germany and wanted to play for Germany so he took German citizenship. As soon as that came through he got called up for national service and had to do it, while he was doing it his girlfriend buggered of with someone else as she never saw him and after finishing it his career took a nosedive.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I haven't read all the above, but doesn't this indicate that team managers are being lazy and are just buying in talent instead of investing in home grown talent?
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            I haven't read all the above, but doesn't this indicate that team managers are being lazy and are just buying in talent instead of investing in home grown talent?
            I think that's the point, talent is unavailable. Generation x-factor is not good for business.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

At the end of the day the homegrown talent is not good enough.

Comment

Lewis Holtby is eligible as his father is from Liverpool but decided to play internationally for Germany as that is where he was born, brought up and lives (also his mother is German.) Aaron Hunt who plays for Bremen has a German father and British mother but also made the same decision whereas Owen Hargreaves who was born in Canada to British parents decided to play for England rather than Canada or Wales. One of the funnier stories concerns Sean Dundee who was a South African who played in Germany and wanted to play for Germany so he took German citizenship. As soon as that came through he got called up for national service and had to do it, while he was doing it his girlfriend buggered of with someone else as she never saw him and after finishing it his career took a nosedive.
                What all of them seem to have in common is that they chose to play for strongest team they're eligible for, which is a pretty fair reflection on how a lot of serious sportspeople think. If nationality is not such a clear cut decision for you, having moved around and had an international background, why choose to join a second rate team if you're eligible for a team where you might get to win things?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Are talking about football or IT now ?
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                  X