• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slave reparations - right or wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I don't think he has ever posted anything that is even remotely accurate.
    he is spot on.

HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS - Country Comparison - TOP 100

8/10 of the top ten by victims are in LEDCs and most of those 8 are in Africa.

We could do a lot with very little in many countries but most of it is wasted by the corrupt governments.

Thanks Pope for making it a little better!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      he is spot on.

We could do a lot with very little in many countries but most of it is wasted by the corrupt governments.

Thanks Pope for making it a little better!
      There are so many absolute zoomers and fruitloops on this forum it is hard to make any pretence that the industry attracts the nation's brightest.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        he is spot on.

Minestrone wasn't referring to me not posting anything remotely accurate (I think!), he was referring back to Dominic Connor's post, which said:

"Diseases that afflict mostly black people don't get anything like the same attention that whiter richer diseases get. Note how AIDS attracts vast sums and lots of media attention..."

...with which, as you point out, DC seems to have destroyed his own argument.
        Last edited by Doggy Styles; 13 October 2013, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Minestrone wasn't referring to me not posting anything remotely accurate (I think!), he was referring back to Dominic Connor's post, which said:

"Diseases that afflict mostly black people don't get anything like the same attention that whiter richer diseases get. Note how AIDS attracts vast sums and lots of media attention..."

thats the way I read it.
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Vetran's comment that the Catholic church is somehow to blame for the African aids epidemic (there are very few Catholics in South Africa which has the highest number of sufferers) stands him out for some attention.

Although I think we come across these 'vetran moments of pure logic' quite often, MMR is still unsafe and he wants to be tested for prostrate cancer ever year despite all the evidence pointing to that it being a waste of time.

EDIT: and yes. that was the way it was meant to read, a comment on DC's post.
            Last edited by minestrone; 13 October 2013, 17:27.

Comment

Well, then I say fine. Give them some dosh in reparations but then hit them with a bill for The West Africa Squadron. Which with interest, should put them in debt to us.

Edit: And thinking about it, I bet a lot of us could trace our lineage to someone who died preventing the North Atlantic Slave Trade and so I think we are probably due a bit of reparation from the states that benefitted from our ancestor's sacrifice.

Edit #2: Okay, so actually reading the article reveals that it is the former slaves that are suing and so I've probably got things around the wrong way. However, I think that Britain doing so much to prevent so many people ending their lives in slavery, surely goes some way to offsetting any perceived debt from being an earlier active participant.
              Last edited by alluvial; 13 October 2013, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Indeed, I am sorry for misjudging the subtleties of the of the witty riposte. I mistakenly assumed as you were quoted in the response you were the target of a patently obviously misdirected attack. My Bad - apparently. Note IN ANOTHER THREAD Dominic has a point. We could spend money on TB and malaria instead of spending it on Botox and do a lot more good in the world.

I have posted a number of justifications for my view that the office of the pope by refusing to allow the flock to use barrier protection screwed the pooch, sorry if you guys don't agree but the evidence is overwhelming, maybe why the pontiff changed his mind and earned a little of my respect.

South Africa, Statistics by Diocese, by Catholic Population [Catholic-Hierarchy]

The Catholic Church, Condoms, and HIV & AIDS in Africa

Screening against prostate cancer strikes me as a low impact way of cutting the risk, if you paid for an annual screening it would be one of the tests. Now because the government pays for screening its seen as too expensive & flawed, you can draw your own conclusions from that.

Obviously if you great intellects disagree with you then you can provide your workings, until then you seem to be talking out of your funnel.

Comment

Not a fan of religion but I do question just how much the teachings of the Catholic church have to do with the spread of HIV. When you are feeling horny, do you really have to be religious to stick it in (or have it stuck in wherever) and worry about it later? Seriously?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Not a fan of religion but I do question just how much the teachings of the Catholic church have to do with the spread of HIV. When you are feeling horny, do you really have to be religious to stick it in (or have it stuck in wherever) and worry about it later? Seriously?
                    Xoggy - read the link.

If your imaginary friend's support staff remove condoms from the charity parcels and preach damnation for those that don't comply its quite difficult to say 'No Glove no love!'

If you believe in chaos theory only a little flap is enough.

again I said it wasn't anywhere near the whole problem, but it was something we could fix easily and IMHO any religion that loved its followers would aim to do so as quickly as possible.
                    Last edited by vetran; 13 October 2013, 22:10.

Comment

Actually what I said about MMR that was that the instant and almost pitchfork wielding discrediting of the research seemed peculiar and desperate. I suspected that they may live to regret it, a number of studies have suggested he might have been on to something.

Now if you choose to believe that we know everything about vaccination and autism and that the BMJ are unable to be politically motivated then good for you. I suspect in certain cases Wakefield may have a point.

Glad you are able to be so certain, most would not be.

Comment

Working...
                      X