Slave reparations - right or wrong? Slave reparations - right or wrong? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31

    More fingers than teeth

    DodgyAgent is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    SA has an AIDS epidemic because of people like Jacob Zuma, multiple wifes, seems to shag anything in his distance and is on record saying that showering after sex stops you getting AIDS. That is the level of stupidity of their main man who is in charge of sorting this out. That is modern day 'let them eat cake moment'. Poland with it's 95% Catholic population has next to no AIDS problem but SA with its 6% Catholic population has big problems yet you are sure the problem has a lot to do with the Catholic church.

    This argument has no basis on science yet is popularised by left wingers and militant homosexuals, I think Tonybee used to peddle this line quite a bit. It is a backlash at the comments that AIDS was Gods wrath I think, practicing Catholics have just about the lowest infection rates and if condoms and health education are so good at stopping AIDS why is the spread of the disease still a massive problem in western gay communities?

    The problem is that your ideas are just so fookin stupid that any attempt at a discussion with you has to bring up your level of intelligence. Time and time again you ignore evidence compiled by experts that is almost university adopted to go with a few pages from the internet and a few hunches.

    "I know I don't know much on this subject or what the evidence says, I know I am right and here is a web page that proves it" seems to be common in your posts. You have tried to make it a running joke out of posting tulipe mail links every day but really it reminds us that is really all you have got, a superficial mind that uses the slimmest of evidence to form fact.
    Poland is an educated country that has developed a sense of responsibility that is absent from African countries and communities. Just because the statistics show that Poland has a very low incidence of Aids does not owe itself to Roman Catholicism. Catholicism may be a component of the civilised society but it is equally culpable of being a component of the ills of society (licensed paedophilia being one). Fortunately most civilised societies are above the generally malign influences of religion.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

  2. #32

    Super poster

    amcdonald is too good to be a permie

    amcdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down the pub
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Fortunately most civilised societies are above the generally malign influences of religion.
    America for one certainly isn't
    Doing the needful since 1827

  3. #33

    More fingers than teeth

    DodgyAgent is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amcdonald View Post
    America for one certainly isn't
    As a whole it is. In parts it is not.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

  4. #34

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Poland is an educated country that has developed a sense of responsibility that is absent from African countries and communities. Just because the statistics show that Poland has a very low incidence of Aids does not owe itself to Roman Catholicism. Catholicism may be a component of the civilised society but it is equally culpable of being a component of the ills of society (licensed paedophilia being one). Fortunately most civilised societies are above the generally malign influences of religion.
    So you are saying it is nothing to do with religion.

  5. #35

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    So you are saying it is nothing to do with religion.
    In fact I'm perfectly willing to agree that the low incidence of infection in Poland is partially down to Catholicism.

    As you say abstinence reduces risk to near zero. However if you have a society where abstinence is not ingrained other solutions are needed.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  6. #36

    More fingers than teeth

    DodgyAgent is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    So you are saying it is nothing to do with religion.
    Religion has its influence but it is mainly a controlling force and not enough of a civilising one. In its benign form it has helped educate and indeed civilise people however it has then stepped beyond its boundaries by becoming a force for exploitation, abuse and control. Many in the civilised world may attach themselves to a religion but thanks to science and education no longer need the "prop" that religion offers. Let's face it religion thrives on fear and an absence of understanding and unless god shows up to a few functions and performs a few miracles he (assuming he is indeed a "he") is dead in the water.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

  7. #37

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,390

    Default If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him

    Voltaire of course was way ahead of us.

    Voltaire, Epître sur Les Trois Imposteurs

    In its original form, the statement first appeared in a verse epistle from 1768, addressed to the anonymous author of a controversial work, The Three Impostors. According to Voltaire, this was a virulently atheistic text that denied the existence of a divine being. He found that this was an extremely dangerous work since it put into question a notion that was very useful for society: the idea that criminals would be punished in the afterlife. Thus, even when policing was insufficient, there was a strong deterrent against crime.

    In this poem, Voltaire develops in a general way the idea that the existence of God (or the belief therein) helps establish social order. He then goes on to boast of his own role in eliminating prejudice and injustice in the eighteenth century. In its final sections, the poem turns to personal satire, as Voltaire attacks some of his favorite enemies.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  8. #38

    Godlike

    Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,818

    Default

    This will turn into yet another unanswerable and pointless 'does god exist' and 'is all religion bad' bunfight. You can't help yourselves.

    Meanwhile most of the Carribean is on tenterhooks waiting for CUK to announce it's decision on reparations. What's it to be?

  9. #39

    Double Godlike!

    original PM is a fount of knowledge

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    This will turn into yet another unanswerable and pointless 'does god exist' and 'is all religion bad' bunfight. You can't help yourselves.

    Meanwhile most of the Carribean is on tenterhooks waiting for CUK to announce it's decision on reparations. What's it to be?
    No

    No nation should be paying for the actions of it's forefathers 300 odd years ago

  10. #40

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,390

    Default

    I doubt they would do little with the money other than oppress their population more.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •