• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slave reparations - right or wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slave reparations - right or wrong?

14 Caribbean nations sue Britain, Holland and France for slavery reparations | Mail Online

14 Caribbean nations sue Britain, Holland and France for slavery reparations that could cost hundreds of billions of pounds
    Countries demanding compensation for 'awful' legacy of Atlantic trade
    Have hired lawyers who won pay-out for Kenyans tortured in the 1950s
    Britain compensated slave owners £20m in 1834 - equal to £200bn today
    Idea of reparations in the U.S. has often surfaced, but none has been paid
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I think we should sue France for 1066, the cheese eating surrender monkeys.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Who did what to whom ?

At the time of slavery my ancestors were fighting British colonialism, should I be paid or paying ?

Giving money to corrupt regimes is rarely a good idea, if we really feel we should make reparations we could do many better things.

Diseases that afflict mostly black people don't get anything like the same attention that whiter richer diseases get. Note how AIDS attracts vast sums and lots of media attention, yet the lung diseases, poisonous/infected water, and of course sickle cell anaemia that afflict poor/black people are pitiful in comparison.

A few tens of millions there would do far more good for far more people than buying a nice retirement for Caribbean politicians and their cronies.
      My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

I thought AIDS was mostly prevalent among black Africans.

Comment

Shall we sue the Vatican for the romans invading then ?
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I don't think he has ever posted anything that is even remotely accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Since when do we let facts get in the way of a good rant?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I don't think he has ever posted anything that is even remotely accurate.
                Ah, I see.

Comment

I stopped at 'corrupt regimes'.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
                    At the time of slavery my ancestors were fighting British colonialism, should I be paid or paying ?
                    If the victims of British colonialism are getting dosh, then the anti-victims should get negative dosh.

thats logic, that is.

Therefore it's all your fault and you have to pay. you b@stard

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X