Mercury astronaut Scott Carpenter Mercury astronaut Scott Carpenter
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Pilchard

    Cliphead has more data than eek

    Cliphead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    55°51'N, 04°12'W
    Posts
    9,653

    Default Mercury astronaut Scott Carpenter

    Made it to 88. Screwed the pooch as far as NASA was concerned and only flew once in space but still a guy with cojones for me.

    If y'all haven't watched it do yerself a favour and watch The Right Stuff.

  2. #2

    Banned

    Malcolm Buggeridge is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliphead View Post
    Made it to 88. Screwed the pooch as far as NASA was concerned and only flew once in space but still a guy with cojones for me.

    If y'all haven't watched it do yerself a favour and watch The Right Stuff.
    Indeed. Only John Glenn left...

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning

    evilagent is good enough for Jehovah!


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Is it true the Thunderbirds pilots were all named after the Mercury 7 Astros?

    The american space program is certainly worth a study. Incredible stuff.
    And the russian program equally fascinating.

  4. #4

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evilagent View Post
    Is it true the Thunderbirds pilots were all named after the Mercury 7 Astros?
    Yes Scott, Virgil, Alan, Gordon, and John.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  5. #5

    Godlike

    Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evilagent View Post
    Is it true the Thunderbirds pilots were all named after the Mercury 7 Astros?
    I'd forgotten that. Yes, yes they were. Although I didn't know it was only Mercury. Scott, Virgil, Gordon, John, um, and the other one. Alan was it? I refuse to look it up.

  6. #6

    Double Godlike!

    stek - scorchio!

    stek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East of Eden
    Posts
    11,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'd forgotten that. Yes, yes they were. Although I didn't know it was only Mercury. Scott, Virgil, Gordon, John, um, and the other one. Alan was it? I refuse to look it up.
    Alan Shephard. I only know that cos in the 80's I worked with a guy called Alan Shepherd, not the same one, whilst he was no astronaut, but he was the only one in the office who could work the comptometer aka The Whizz Bang...

  7. #7

    Godlike

    Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post
    Alan Shephard. I only know that cos in the 80's I worked with a guy called Alan Shepherd, not the same one, whilst he was no astronaut, but he was the only one in the office who could work the comptometer aka The Whizz Bang...
    Ah yes, it's coming back to me. Wasn't Alan Shephard the one who hit a golf ball on the moon?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •