• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Countries where talking about money is not seen as socially acceptable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Countries where talking about money is not seen as socially acceptable

Haven seen Demo and this all time classic I was thinking as I ran errands around town.

Can anyone think of any country where talking about how rich you are or how much you earn is actually social acceptable? I mean in Britain and France its just not the done thing you may have more than others you don't however talk about it (especially when its your only topic of conversation).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Haven seen Demo and this all time classic I was thinking as I ran errands around town.

Can anyone think of any country where talking about how rich you are or how much you earn is actually social acceptable? I mean in Britain and France its just not the done thing you may have more than others you don't however talk about it (especially when its your only topic of conversation).
    America.

Duh duh duh duh duh duh duhhhhhhhhh! Duh duh duh duh duh duh ahhhhhhhhh.

(getting bored now)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I have a kiwi acquaintance who is always telling me how rich he is. So I presume it's OK in NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        America.

Duh duh duh duh duh duh duhhhhhhhhh! Duh duh duh duh duh duh ahhhhhhhhh.

(getting bored now)
        I would argue that it actually isn't. Its ok to have money and ok to be seen to spend it but to actually talk about it is seen to be vulgar.
        Hang on most american's are vulgar so
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

People here in Germany seem to talk about money openly. How much do you pay for rent? etc etc

Sometimes I think it's the norm until I return back home and realise I've someone overstepped the mark with my question.

It's the same with sex, people back home are embarrassed bordering angry when conversation veers that direction.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I was thinking ...
            Dangerous. That's like driving a Citroen C1 at 90 mph. Not safe and the results won't be great.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Dangerous. That's like driving a Citroen C1 at 90 mph. Not safe and the results won't be great.
              Talking of cars - how is your imaginary Toyota 86 GT doing?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Talking of cars - how is your imaginary Toyota 86 GT doing?
                It's Ok - bit of a white elephant
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                X