• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My hard working Apple rMBP stays cool

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    When I'm maxxing out my GPUs I worry when the CPU hits 70c, I've never had go beyond that even overclocking it heavily

105c has got to be stressing the CPU
    Why? Because it's passed the boiling point of water?

I know IT folks don't do science but let me hit you with some anyway: Silicon has a melting point of 1,414 °C, It's not going to feel that much stress at 100.

Beside any material that experiences heat is stressed, which is only counteracted by it's strength. This deterministic understanding in isotropic materials is well understood.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It's a clever Apple design which keeps all the heat inside the case so your hands don't get warm.
      Yes it is. Nothing worse that sweaty hands whilst you're typing.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        The sensors in the chip measure the temp per individual core, or the averaged temp of the hottest core, depending on how you read it (i.e. which interface you use to get the numbers out). Your gauge could be showing the temperature at which throttling will start (Tjmax), as that is calibrated per chip I believe, and 102 is the right ballpark. For example my ancient Lenovo shows Tjmax = 105C, Core 0 = 39C and Core 1 = 31C.
        Do you reckon there's sensor embedded on the chip itself? I would have thought surface mounted thermistor in the vicinity. Show's you how far things have come since me uni days.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Why? Because it's passed the boiling point of water?

I know IT folks don't do science but let me hit you with some anyway: Silicon has a melting point of 1,414 °C, It's not going to feel that much stress at 100.

Beside any material that experiences heat is stressed, which is only counteracted by it's strength. This deterministic understanding in isotropic materials is well understood.
          It's a shame you're talking complete bollocks again.

Try this for some very basic information that even you may be able to grasp:
          The Effect of Heat on CPUs and Computer Systems

Comment

Yes it is. Nothing worse that sweaty hands whilst you're typing.
            Having your CPU crap out on you is worse.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              It's a shame you're talking complete bollocks again.

Try this for some very basic information that even you may be able to grasp:
              The Effect of Heat on CPUs and Computer Systems
              Well the life of the component is still the same. You're talking about wear out. I'm not. I'm taking about capability. Operating the component at temperature is no big deal.

As intel says

"Ivy Bridge has a higher TjMAX specification, which governs when the CPU starts throttling in order to protect itself from heat damage. The cut-off for the Core i7-3770K is 105°C."
              Last edited by scooterscot; 14 October 2013, 09:38.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Having your CPU crap out on you is worse.
                Never had it happen once in 23 years since my first 86dx.

In my opinion intel should just start slapping more cmos cores into the package for performance. Imagine 32 cores under the hood in my mbp, I'll give it a couple of year.

Last night my machine converted a 10gig mkv file in 55 minutes

Comment

Do you reckon there's sensor embedded on the chip itself? I would have thought surface mounted thermistor in the vicinity. Show's you how far things have come since me uni days.
                  There have been on-die temperature sensors (called DTS) for ages. There is a register that reports the number of steps which the temperature is below the factory calibrated "control" temperature, which is calibrated so that it reports 0 when the control temperature is reached, and that's when the thermal control circuit kicks in and starts reducing clock speed and voltage to avoid damage.

There is another temperature (130C I think) at which the chip just shuts down, which should only be reached in the event of a total cooling failure.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

In my opinion intel should just start slapping more cmos cores into the package for performance. Imagine 32 cores under the hood in my mbp, I'll give it a couple of year.
                    It's called Xeon Phi, and it's already here. Of course you can't get them in macbooks, you need a proper computer.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      It's called Xeon Phi, and it's already here. Of course you can't get them in macbooks, you need a proper computer.
                      " If it was released right now, it would occupy the third place in the top 500 list of supercomputers."

Wooah. Yes apple you must.

Comment

Working...
                      X