• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My hard working Apple rMBP stays cool

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hard working Apple rMBP stays cool

One noticeable design improvement of my retina mac book pro's new design is heat management. It used to be with the CPU maxed out the hands would heat up as would the keyboard.

My CPU is maxed out at the minute converting some videos, the entire keyboard area and that under the wrists is as cool as a cucumber.

Thank you Apple!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    My CPU is maxed out at the minute converting some videos, the entire keyboard area and that under the wrists is as cool as a cucumber.

Thank you Intel!
    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      FTFY
      Na, the statistics in the menu bar tell me CPU 2 is currently running at 102 degrees C. My area under my hand is not above 31.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Na, the statistics in the menu bar tell me CPU 2 is currently running at 102 degrees C. My area under my hand is not above 31.
        102 is like above melting point ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          102 is like above melting point ...
          The melting point of Mercury, yes, thankfully these geniuses at apple used something else; unobtainium.

Comment

102C is hot. That's around the temperature the chip will start to throttle itself to avoid dying.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              102C is hot. That's around the temperature the chip will start to throttle itself to avoid dying.
              Or it could be just cumulative temperature, it does have several cores after all.

Comment

Or it could be just cumulative temperature, it does have several cores after all.
                The sensors in the chip measure the temp per individual core, or the averaged temp of the hottest core, depending on how you read it (i.e. which interface you use to get the numbers out). Your gauge could be showing the temperature at which throttling will start (Tjmax), as that is calibrated per chip I believe, and 102 is the right ballpark. For example my ancient Lenovo shows Tjmax = 105C, Core 0 = 39C and Core 1 = 31C.
                Last edited by doodab; 14 October 2013, 05:31.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  It's a clever Apple design which keeps all the heat inside the case so your hands don't get warm.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When I'm maxxing out my GPUs I worry when the CPU hits 70c, I've never had go beyond that even overclocking it heavily

105c has got to be stressing the CPU
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X