My hard working Apple rMBP stays cool My hard working Apple rMBP stays cool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Default My hard working Apple rMBP stays cool

One noticeable design improvement of my retina mac book pro's new design is heat management. It used to be with the CPU maxed out the hands would heat up as would the keyboard.

My CPU is maxed out at the minute converting some videos, the entire keyboard area and that under the wrists is as cool as a cucumber.

Thank you Apple!
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    My CPU is maxed out at the minute converting some videos, the entire keyboard area and that under the wrists is as cool as a cucumber.

Thank you Intel!
    FTFY

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    FTFY
    Na, the statistics in the menu bar tell me CPU 2 is currently running at 102 degrees C. My area under my hand is not above 31.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Na, the statistics in the menu bar tell me CPU 2 is currently running at 102 degrees C. My area under my hand is not above 31.
    102 is like above melting point ...

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    102 is like above melting point ...
    The melting point of Mercury, yes, thankfully these geniuses at apple used something else; unobtainium.

Contractor 'til I die

doodab 's job has never been outsourced

102C is hot. That's around the temperature the chip will start to throttle itself to avoid dying.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    102C is hot. That's around the temperature the chip will start to throttle itself to avoid dying.
    Or it could be just cumulative temperature, it does have several cores after all.

Contractor 'til I die

doodab 's job has never been outsourced

Or it could be just cumulative temperature, it does have several cores after all.
    The sensors in the chip measure the temp per individual core, or the averaged temp of the hottest core, depending on how you read it (i.e. which interface you use to get the numbers out). Your gauge could be showing the temperature at which throttling will start (Tjmax), as that is calibrated per chip I believe, and 102 is the right ballpark. For example my ancient Lenovo shows Tjmax = 105C, Core 0 = 39C and Core 1 = 31C.
    Last edited by doodab; 14th October 2013 at 05:31.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

d000hg - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    It's a clever Apple design which keeps all the heat inside the case so your hands don't get warm.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Super poster

amcdonald is too good to be a permie

When I'm maxxing out my GPUs I worry when the CPU hits 70c, I've never had go beyond that even overclocking it heavily

105c has got to be stressing the CPU
    Doing the needful since 1827