• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish independence: 50 diplomats to SNP conference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm very interested. Whether Scotland will leave the UK and whether England will leave Europe, and whether Scotland will then join the EU, is of great interest and importance to the country.

Interesting times ahead.
    Likewise, interesting and exciting.

I don't the people will be backing independence myself (50% max), but I do see a country taking control of it's affairs with a determination & energy. I don't know where it's come from those last 10 years, but it's evident. Even with 50% voting in favour, the country would acquire many new powers. I don't think many people realise this.

If it did happen +50%, my goodness. Firstly we'd have a new holiday a little like constitution day in Norway.

Scotland would likely join the EU, it is our largest trading partner, followed by the US. We're quite pro EU despite it currency failings.
    By way of comparison, the above Scottish Government source estimates year 2010 "exports" to the rest of the UK at £44,900 million (£44.9 billion). In other words, the rest of the UK is Scotland's largest trading partner by a factor of 12.8.
    The next 2 years are interesting time indeed. I hope ukip are just a blip who will disappear before the next general election, if not, the landscape may look very different indeed.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 14 October 2013, 12:01.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Scotland would likely join the EU, it is our largest trading partner, followed by the US. We're quite pro EU despite it currency failings.
      So you want independence so that you can be run by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels, how is that different from now ????
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Still confused, what is the rest of the UK got to do with it? We've not been part of it for decades, that's why there's a vote.
        The rest of the UK are pretty much desperate to be rid of Scotland and all of this continuous independence ranting. However, I am guessing that the English diplomats are worried that if the average nationalist Scot realises that England wants them to leave they will insist on staying as they refuse to back down to the 'Enlesh bastads'.

I actually have nothing against Scotland or you - I am just sick of listening to this.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          So you want independence so that you can be run by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels, how is that different from now ????
          We have to do what Westminster tells us. That's not the case with Brussels, just ask the iTalians.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            I actually have nothing against Scotland or you - I am just sick of listening to this.
            Well I'm afraid you might want to take a long holiday for the next 11 months, it's not going to go away.

Comment

We'll have to do what Merkel tells us. That's not the case with Brussels, just ask the iTalians.
              FTFY
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                FTFY
                I wouldn't worry, we have a man on the inside.

Christian Democrat David McAllister, the incumbent premier of Lower Saxony, went into Sunday's vote with an eight per cent lead over the opposition Social Democrats (41 per cent to 33 per cent).

The half Scottish politician who has happily described himself as "Merkel's Mac" had trailed in the wake of the Social Democrats. But the charismatic Mr McAllister has profited from a series of gaffes by Peer Steinbruck, the Social Democrats' candidate for chancellor who will take on Mrs Merkel later this year.
                Half-Scottish heir to Angela Merkel faces crucial political test - Telegraph

Comment

You know that eventual Euro membership is a requirement for joining the EU now don't you? Plus you'll need to pay your share of the EU budget as well.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well I'm afraid you might want to take a long holiday for the next 11 months, it's not going to go away.
                    Or I could simply explain to people who bang on about it all the time that I could not care less. I do the same with people who bang on at me about religion (or threaten my 4 year old with torture in hell or encourage her not to learn about science etc.) so please do not feel like I am victimising your country.

Although for one terrified second I thought you meant that Scotland was not going to go away ... phew!!
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      You know that eventual Euro membership is a requirement for joining the EU now don't you? Plus you'll need to pay your share of the EU budget as well.
                      Automatica, ja

Comment

Working...
                      X