• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent sleaze number 107

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Agent: So we want to put you forward for this role but your availability is a problem.
    Me: Well, as I said to your colleague I'm currently contracted till the end of December. I've committed to stay to the end of this project. This new role sounds great, and you'll have a hard time finding those niche skills, but if they can't wait two months then I'm not interested.
    Agent: Well we can look at your current contract for you. There are always loopholes. Even if you are under contract they'll never sue if you leave early.
    Me: ...
    Agent: And you don't want to be looking for a new role round christmas. You'll find it hard to find anything at all.
    Me: ...

It's depressing dealing with these kind of people.
    Phone his boss and ask for a reference. Say that you need it double quick because he's agree to start work with you on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I've read this twice and I'm still not sure - are you defending such behaviour by employees?

If so, doesn't it breed unprofessionalism, and moreover, the next generation of bad employers?
      thing is why care - more and more 'people' are seen as expendable commodities - you watch first thing any venture capitalist will do is get rid of half the workforce - forget the fact that some may have been loyal for 5-10-15 years and gone over and above what was required and deserve better.

Business is now all about making as much money as possible for yourself and fck everyone else (has this allways been the case - you could argue yes).

So in essence we need to see ourseleves as businesses and take everyone for what we can get and fck everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        thing is why care - more and more 'people' are seen as expendable commodities - you watch first thing any venture capitalist will do is get rid of half the workforce - forget the fact that some may have been loyal for 5-10-15 years and gone over and above what was required and deserve better.
        But that hasn't been happening during the recession. Many firms were keeping people on wherever possible, even if it mean dropping wages because turnover was down. Unemployment didn't rise anything like what was expected.

It seems people on here are hyper-cynical for the sake of it.

Comment

I teach ethics to bankers

It's part of a course I do occasional lectures on.

I use piss like this as a worked example:

You meet a girl in a pub.
          She says "you're better looking than my boyfriend, I'll chuck him, he's tulip in bed anyway". She phones him, tells some lies about going out late with some female friends and then puts her arm around you.

Many of us would then quite happily then spend the evening back at our place discussing feminist poetry.

Few of us would see this as a prospect for a long term relationship, there may be some trust issues, even if we are better looking and wonderful in bed.

Same with a recruiter or anyone else you do business with.

If the transaction is finite and you don't need to trust them much,then their ethics don't have to be your problem.

But although a contract recruiter is unlikely to be your best man when you marry the girl you met in the bar, you are trusting him with non-trivial amounts of money.

As a pimp, I'm not going to try and claim some moral superiority that dictates you should not shaft your current client, I'm asking if you trust this creature with two months pay ?
          My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Working...
          X