• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missed this one - on benefits & proud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It depends how you're defining "willing to rely on benefits". I don't think you can treat the same way people who are not pressured to work and take the easy route, and those who deliberately set out to play the system.I'm not sure can really criticise either too much because finding a way to provide for oneself is all those who take jobs are doing. "pride" and "not accepting charity" seem to have no absolute moral value, we're just back with Cameron's "it's only right we all pay our fair share" kind of argument. If you find a way to provide for your family, good on you.
    You see thats the problem - I work not because I am made to work but because I want to work for a few reasons
    1) Money - obviously
    2) Can be a challenge (can be a pita!)
    3) Meet new people??
    4) See new places???

So what I am trying to say is that those two classes of people are the same because they see the state welfare as an option - regardless of the reason why

and whilst I am not very political at all I think the phrase we should all pay our fair share is kind of ok really?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      You see thats the problem - I work not because I am made to work but because I want to work for a few reasons
      1) Money - obviously
      2) Can be a challenge (can be a pita!)
      3) Meet new people??
      4) See new places???

So what I am trying to say is that those two classes of people are the same because they see the state welfare as an option - regardless of the reason why
      Well no, otherwise benefit fraud wouldn't be a crime.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well no, otherwise benefit fraud wouldn't be a crime.
        I can see what you are saying but the point is - no living off the state - whether it is because of laziness or because you are trying to screw the system is unacceptable.

Comment

Watched 2 minutes of it.

Liked the bit where they spent more on fags and the TV package than the food.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Watched 2 minutes of it.

Liked the bit where they spent more on fags and the TV package than the food.
            Fags are bloody expensive - I can't believe anyone smokes.

And TV is a cheap drug for the poor - it stops them rioting on the streets.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I can see what you are saying but the point ... living off the state ... is unacceptable.
              Why? Simply because you want to work, anyone who thinks differently is unacceptable? It was once thought, and continues to be the premise in much sci-fi, that civilisation will reach a point that people don't have to work any more, but can choose to. Clearly our society does not require everyone to work for us to all to have a fairly comfortable existence so what good exactly is there from everyone working? What moral or existential reason is there why it's right to work and wrong not to - isn't your biological 'duty' simply to provide for your family?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Fags are bloody expensive - I can't believe anyone smokes.
                No they're not, unless you're in the UK of course. I can't believe anyone smokes in the UK, especially the unemployed and low paid, that would be the first thing I stopped doing.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  No they're not, unless you're in the UK of course. I can't believe anyone smokes in the UK, especially the unemployed and low paid, that would be the first thing I stopped doing.
                  True, friends buy a few years supply when they visit eastern europe, if you're not picky about wanting brands about £1 a pack is possible
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Why? Simply because you want to work, anyone who thinks differently is unacceptable? It was once thought, and continues to be the premise in much sci-fi, that civilisation will reach a point that people don't have to work any more, but can choose to. Clearly our society does not require everyone to work for us to all to have a fairly comfortable existence so what good exactly is there from everyone working? What moral or existential reason is there why it's right to work and wrong not to - isn't your biological 'duty' simply to provide for your family?
                    It is not unacceptable for people not to want to work - what is unacceptable is for them to expect other people to financially support their lifestyle choice
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      It is not unacceptable for people not to want to work - what is unacceptable is for them to expect other people to financially support their lifestyle choice
                      Other people aren't. The government is.

But regardless, there are not enough jobs for every adult in the country to work full-time. If those who don't want to work are the ones who don't work, that leaves more jobs for those who do feel some sense of duty to do so. So it's better we let them sit on benefits.

Comment

Working...
                      X