• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PDF Files/Acrobat - anyone else avoid like the plague?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF Files/Acrobat - anyone else avoid like the plague?

I can't stand PDF files. Don't know if the problem is with the file format or with Acrobat but navigation is awful and I've always found it slow, unresponsive and very resource hungry.

How the hell is this useless technology the de facto standard?

Often when I google stuff and I notice that the link in the search results directs to a PDF that link doesn't get the click.

What format do you prefer? PostScript?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      What format do you prefer? PostScript?
      I prefer to view stuff on the web as html...

Comment

I avoid Acrobat like the plague, but I don't mind PDF as such, probably because it's a native format on OS X and iOS.

Which addresses your first point, BTW: you have such a horrible experience because of Acrobat, not the file format. Even on my old iPhone 3GS, PDF rendering speed is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I avoid Acrobat like the plague, but I don't mind PDF as such, probably because it's a native format on OS X and iOS.

Which addresses your first point, BTW: you have such a horrible experience because of Acrobat, not the file format. Even on my old iPhone 3GS, PDF rendering speed is perfectly acceptable.
          WNFS+1

Acrobat the application is tulipe. PDF as a file format is fine. Just use a different PDF viewer (assuming your not a Mac User.)
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

PDF is my niche so definitely don't avoid it. Acrobat on the other hand is a crappy bloated piece of tulip.

Comment

Ah, so it's Acrobat. I'll try out your suggested viewer. Thanks.

Comment

Firefox has got build-in JavaScript viewer for PDF now, not ideal but works quicker than Acrobat.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Firefox has got build-in JavaScript viewer for PDF now, not ideal but works quicker than Acrobat.
                  Chrome has its own viewer too.

Comment

I've just had files sent to me in PDF because some numpty thought they'd be 'safer as read-only'.

:rolleyes
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X